Inverter install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Inverter install

I did a search but there wasn't anything on wiring one. I have a 400w inverter that has the plug for cigarette lighter. I want to hardwire it. Will only be using it to charge cell phone or batteries for camcorder. Can I just splice into wires of the power oulet on the truck? What about wiring to upfitters switches? I have them in my 05 and the only one that I am using is for high idle mod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 06:22 PM

Yes, you can wire it into the switches. I would advise against hardwiring it directly into on of the power outlets, with the switch, you could atleast turn it on and off, and not have constant drain.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhoghp View Post
Yes, you can wire it into the switches. I would advise against hardwiring it directly into on of the power outlets, with the switch, you could atleast turn it on and off, and not have constant drain.
The inverter has an on/off if that matters. Does it matter which switch I use? Does it need an inline fuse? I dont even know where the upfitter wires are at.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:37 PM

You could run wires directly from your battery, with an inline fuse, to your inverter.
You could run wires from the upfitter switches, which i believe you can find the ends of near the ebrake, someone correct me if i'm wrong, as for which switch, it doesn't matter, but the 3rd and 4th ones are lower amp switches, and you may wish to save the others for lights, etc down the road.
You could tap off of one of the cigarette lighters or 12v power ports aswell, using a fuse in that case may be more trouble than its worth, as if there is an issue, the fuse for that outlet in the truck would simply blow.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:41 PM

Here is a more detailed description of where the wires are...

upfitter switch wires, WHERE? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Old 06-08-2011, 06:51 PM

Might want to double check your booklet that came with your inverter. If you ever need to have the full capacity of your inverter you'll need to hardwire directly to the battery, at least I did for my 500w inverter. If I used the cigarette light plug, I was limited to just 100w.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEagle View Post
Might want to double check your booklet that came with your inverter. If you ever need to have the full capacity of your inverter you'll need to hardwire directly to the battery, at least I did for my 500w inverter. If I used the cigarette light plug, I was limited to just 100w.
Good point but I do not think I would have a problem as I am only charging phone or camcorder. Also I will usually be driving while doing this so the truck batteries will be charging.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:43 AM

I decided to wire it to the cigarette lighter. Hardest part was removing the seats to mount it under middle seat. Did not want to wire to upfitter switch because I would not be able to use it unless truck was on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.