NO Parking Lights! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to FastFocus
NO Parking Lights!

This is more of a rant, than a cry for help. So i installed some digital HID's from retro-solutions a little over a week ago. It is raining today and i turn my parking lights on when i'm pulling out of my driveway this morning, then i realize when i pull into my work parking lot that the dash lights are dark. Low and behold the parking lights no longer work. I'm assuming that the plug i left "unplugged" got wet and caused a short or something or somehow the fuse just blew.
I plan on taking a look at it when i go to lunch here shortly, so i'll let you know what has happened. But thats my stupid rant for the day, usually its something small like a fuse so i'm hoping something major has not happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 09:03 AM

so after checking i dont see any blown fuses, now i'm at a loss...
i'm looking in the book and i see trailer tow park lamps, however not just "park lamps".
I noticed that there are exterior lamps, which that fuse is not blown, the trailer tow park lamps is not blown, also i see there are back up lamps and trailer tow back up lamps. So there has to be just a "park lamps" right?

can someone help me out with the correct fuse?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sorry, bud. I don't know which fuse to check. I do have a question - What connection did you leave unplugged? I'm assuming you did it on purpose because you said you knew that you left a connector unplugged. I know when I installed HID's into my RZR, I had to upgrade the fuse due to the initial draw when turning them on, but this doesn't sound even remotely the same.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:30 AM

i've done some reading and it is fuse #17 which is the exterior lights fuse. It looked fine but maybe i was looking at the wrong one... or, i've had a problem before where the fuse looked fine, but once i replaced it everything worked again so i'm gonna work on it some more when i get home.

the HID's work by only plugging into one side of your headlight connectors, for example i put all my wiring on the passenger side of the truck and used the passenger side headlight plug. The drivers side headlight plug is no longer used, because you're running your wire from the harness to the 2nd ballast on the drivers side. I was thinking that may have gotten wet however i know that is not the issue since that has no bearing on the parking lamps what so ever.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Slacker

Interesting. Doesn't that seem a little bit weird to you? It could function perfectly well, but that strikes me as odd. Anyway, I sure hope this fixes it for you.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:20 AM

it is odd if you're not aware of how the HID's are wired up. the HID's come with a plug and play harness with all new connections, relays, power etc. It only uses the oem headlight plug to as a switch, to tell the new HID relay's when to come on and power the ballast, as well as when to flash the brights. It does not take any power at all from the old headlight harness.

Does anyone else have any ideas about my parking lights?
Old 03-09-2011, 02:42 PM

found the culprit, fuse #17 is the correct fuse. its labeled as exterior lights in the user manual. its a 15A fuse. Replaced it and it popped again seconds later.
ended up pulling all the cab lights, and tail lights, only to find a burning plastic smell coming from the rear of the truck.
i forgot all about the license plate lights. The drivers side license plate light socket had shorted and was burning/melting away. So i cut it off for now and tucked the wires up by the frame.
Now off to find a new socket to tie into the wiring to replace it...
Old 03-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Slacker

Interesting. So I'm guessing you wire them up to the batteries directly. I guess it doesn't matter now since you figured out the issue. Glad you found the problem and it was simple to fix.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Interesting. So I'm guessing you wire them up to the batteries directly. I guess it doesn't matter now since you figured out the issue. Glad you found the problem and it was simple to fix.
Correct the HID's get their power directly from the battery. There is a harness that comes with them that has your main power from the battery, then a harness to go from one of the oem headlight sockets to it. Then you have your ballast ground, as well as power to a resistor.
Then the harness has a set of longer wires in which i ran in front of the radiator to the other side of the truck to the other headlight, the ballast for that side plugs into the harness as well as you need a ground. It confused me when i first looked at it, however it makes sense because you would need two large harnesses if it didn't wire this way.
At first i didnt like having one headlight plug just dangling but last night i wrapped it up in a small zip lock back and zip tied it tight so there is no chance of water getting to it at all.
But it makes sense, because like i said the HID's are not getting their power from the OEM headlight plug, they're just using that as a trigger to know when the headlights come on as well as when to flip on the high beams. If i can find a drawing of the harness i'll post it up so you get a better idea, i feel like i'm just rambling here... lol
Old 03-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Slacker

Thanks. I think I get it now, but a diagram might help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.