CB Antenna? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question CB Antenna?

Should i go with a 5ft fiberglass Wilson or the 5.5ft fiberglass Francis? My CB is a Cobra 29 GTL.

Thanks, Barron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 03:03 PM

CB Antena

I have been driving truck over the road for almost 6 years now and I have figured something out in that time. There is no one antenna that is going to work for everyone. First thing you will need to do I install your radio in the truck. Make sure to have a good ground. Run your coax to where the antenna is going to be and go from there. A good rule of thumb to get the best out of your radio is never go shorter than 9 foot and always use increments of 9 feet. If you measure and need 21 feet you should really get a 27 foot piece. Also the best sound will come from a piece of coax with very lox ohms. I have always made my coax at 5ohms or less. You should also never coil extra coax in the truck. If you make a coil you need to take a zip tie and bring the middle together to make it look like a bowtie. Coiled coax that is in a circle will act as an antenna.

Not for your antenna I would say look at the Francis antenna's They are cheaper and most of the rest and hold up good. You could also look at a wilson or firestik adjustable fiberglass antenna. This will allow you to adjust the SWR's and get you to a clean and clear sound.

I am running a Stryker SR-490HP with 18 feet of coax and a Monkey Made MM9 Antenna. But not everyone wants a CB radio that is good to talk up to 35miles. Also not everyone is willing to drop $600 on just a cb setup.

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask. I have been around CB radio's all my life.

Justin
Old 03-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 Strokin View Post
Should i go with a 5ft fiberglass Wilson or the 5.5ft fiberglass Francis? My CB is a Cobra 29 GTL.

Thanks, Barron
Wilson 1000......!
Old 03-17-2011, 04:42 PM

Running a Cobra 29 peaked and tuned, still only pushes around 9-10 watts. 18ft coax and a 3ft francis. SWR is as close as it can be. Still only talk around 15 miles on a clear night.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokenstroke View Post
Running a Cobra 29 peaked and tuned, still only pushes around 9-10 watts. 18ft coax and a 3ft francis. SWR is as close as it can be. Still only talk around 15 miles on a clear night.

my cobra 29 would swing 32 watts on the meter when i tuned it... i could make one of those mini florescent bulbs glow if i put it near the antenna.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:58 PM

Dang, i was shooting for 12. So it would be 3 times a stock one. You must have changed out some resistors or somehting right?
Old 03-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

I always ran a K-40 whip and last year I installed a Wilson fiberglass antenna. It is mounted in the gutter on the hood. It works well but the damn thing whistles. I hate that about it so I'm thinking of swaping back to a metal whip style.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:18 PM

Metal whips are gonna get better reception anyway. I just didnt like the looks of one on my truck.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokenstroke View Post
Dang, i was shooting for 12. So it would be 3 times a stock one. You must have changed out some resistors or somehting right?
yea i changed out the final and turned some of those dials in there and had to do some kind of jumper wire... i got the info on how to do it off some website.

but as far as antennas i have had the best luck with stainless steel whips IMO
Old 03-18-2011, 12:23 PM

Yeah, mine was just a standard tune up. And yeah a whip is the best if you dont mind having it on your truck. Like the looks of fiberglass myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.