high idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 08:25 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
high idle

Ok someone please help me. I live in western nebraska and in the winter it gets cold, sometimes my truck will idle for an extended period of time. I went to Ford to get the stationary high idle control wired into my upfitter switches, and they have absolutely no idea what Im asking about, the want to say its the same as the ambulances and that I need a 3000 dollar control box under the hood. so whats the real deal on this, is this an option that is already configured on the engine and just needs wired up or do I have to buy something? And I might also add that I love this dealership, I get parts at a discount, they always get what I need to me quick and I havent had any problems from them other than this. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 08:41 AM
Premium Member

Which year truck? Cause I think the high idle in the ECM is a 2005 and up option.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:48 AM

I have an 06 sorry
Old 01-31-2011, 12:25 PM

hey guys i found it. Thanks though.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0junky View Post
hey guys i found it. Thanks though.
And I bet it's not going to cost you $3000. Good luck!

And I agree with your sig.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:52 PM

cost me 1 butt splice and maybe 15 mins
Old 01-31-2011, 07:56 PM

I would however like to know which wire is the second control wire for the SEIC or pto function and where to get a knob style potentiometer to set the idle to what I want. I want to put the potentiometer on the dash plate where the electronic 4x4 would sit.

Last edited by 6.0junky; 02-01-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:10 AM

Ok maybe I found something here, Seic wire colors are, Main wire is solid orange everybody probably knew that, then the PTO RPM wire is Orange/ yellow wire,
then there is a PTO VREF wire Orange/ red? The vref i think is for variable resistance? Is that the wire I need to hook the potentiometer up to to set the idle at the speed I want. Or do I hook it up to the pto rpm wire? and when I do that, do I have to hook up a power wire to the potentiometer.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would like to know how to do this as well. It would be nice to have the ability to adjust the high idle speed.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:58 AM

Well this is what ive found so far, to access these wires you need to pull the panel below the steering wheel off, then take a 10mm socket and remove the four screws holding in the fuse box. With the box out of the way you should find a bundle of wires just above and behind the e brake pedal. If you want to use the Battery Charge Protect function you need to use a Purple wire with a light green stripe. The wire bundle should be blunt cut with taped ends. The BCP will automatically idle the engine between 1200 and 2400 rpm to keep the batteries charging properly.
If you want to use the pto function then the SEIC wire is solid orange. You will need an 18 gauge butt splice to connect the SEIC or BCP wire to one of your upfitter switches or an auxilary switch if you dont have the upfitters. If you have to supply your own switch you will also need to supply your own 12v power source.
If you have the upfitters then Ive been told that 1 and 2 have higher amp output than 3 and 4. The high idle doesnt use much power so use 3 or 4 to save the bigger switches. The number 4 switch wire is number 1935 and is orange and light blue. you need to slice this wire with either the BCP wire of the SEIC wire. Now the fun part is when you use the SEIC function there is a second control wire that can be hooked to a potentiometer and then grounded to increase the rpm to the setting that you want
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.