NE1 know how to replace radio buttons? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 08:35 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NE1 know how to replace radio buttons?

The buttons on my stock CD/Radio are all chipped up and I am even missing one of the seek buttons. I was going to try and buy a broken one off ebay and try to just replace the buttons. Anybody ever try this? How do you get the buttons off without breaking them?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have taken mine out to cleanthem becuase my wife like to explode a soda in the truck at least once a month. The soda gets behind the buttons and would make them stick.

So, assuming you know how to get the radio out (radio removal tool from wallmart $6) using a small phillips head screwdrived remove the screws around the edge of the radio face. gently pry it off once the screws are removed as it kinda snaps on. You will need to pull the volume knob off (just pull it right off) then there is another plastic bracket that holds the buttons on, you can pull really hard and it may snap off, be carefull doing this as you don't want to break it in half. Or you can locat the two plastic pins retaining the button braket and use heat to melt the tabs a bit and pull it appart. Mine are melted from the factory and I was able to snap them off. Not a big deal to break them as the radio face actually holds it all together anyway. Then your buttons are removable. This will all make sense as you take it out and remove the face.

James
Old 01-25-2011, 12:47 PM
information regurgitator

Having just attempted to do this, I would caution you to make sure that the part number on the radio is EXACTLY the same as the on in your truck. I thought that I made a major score when I got a radio of fleabay that LOOKED exactly the same (for a mere 0.99 bid), only 2 letters were different in the part number. The one I bought was 5L3T 18C869 AC. The one in my truck is a XXXXXXXXXXXXX. (Edit: number removed, note for the reason is below)
Contrary to what was written above, you do not use the "radio removal tool" (save your $6) you use a good old fashioned socket. 4 Bolts hold your radio in place.
When I tried to put the e-bay one into my truck the tabs did not line up, nor could you just take them off and swap them over. The mounting tab on the side of the existing radio will be half way down the outer casing. The one I got off e-bay had the mounting tabs all the way to the front of the casing.
So, naturally, I decide to take both radios apart to swap over the front faces. Those are different as well, the one from e-bay has 1 plug in the face that directly mates to the radio internals, the existing has 2 plugs that are wired back to the radio internals.
So, I dig into the 2 styles and find that even the switch faces are not only held in place very differently but that they are of a different style.
Heres a pic of what I thought was a good score off e-bay. Notice that it LOOKS exactly like the ones in our trucks, but if you look carefully you will see the mounting tabs are close to the face of it.

Now I have to find the correct one to make it work/fix the "white button" issue.

EDIT: I removed the part number for the radio that is currently in my truck. After some in-depth homework, it appears that the radio is not the one that came in the truck. I guess the first owner replaced it for some reason.

Last edited by NYC F-350; 01-25-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So sorry for the miss information, just trying to help. My radio does not have the 4 bolts, it has 2 holes on each side to insert the tool in order to pull the radio out. Mine is on an 03.

James
Old 01-25-2011, 06:08 PM
information regurgitator

Wasn't tryin to be an azzhat about that, So don't take it that way...especially since you actually may be correct. We do not know what year the OP's truck is. I figured that since I had the same issue that he would have the same year (or close to it).
Old 01-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I didn't think you were being an azzhat, It just made me realize that there may be other types than the one I have....so I felt kinda bad knowing that I give possibly bad info before asking the proper questions.

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.