Stereo Time - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 07:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stereo Time

Well it's about time I decide to actually upgrade my stereo. Right now I just have a Kenwood Excelon DNX6960 deck.

So I'm looking for advice on speakers, subs, and amps. Right now, I'm looking at getting Infinity 6832cf (front) and Infinity 682.9cf (Rear). I just don't know what amp I want to drive them. I was thinking of a 1000watt but that seems excessive. But on the other hand I had a 500watt 4 channel in my Dodge that couldn't handle 4 Kenwood Excelon speakers, so is their a comfortable medium for a speaker amp?

As for subs, I'm getting the Dual 12" SPL2K Sealed box with 2 Pioneer TS-SW300154 subs. I know it's probably excessive and I would perfer a single sub, but the only box for a single sub that SPL2K offers is ported and I'm not a fan of ported boxes... What would be a good amp to run with those 2 subs?

Lastly, can someone school me on capacitors? What do I look for size wise? I only ask because after the system on my dodge, I don't need to have another vehicle that has dimming lights everytime the bass hits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Air Assault!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MPTonyT
Ok ill try to answer all your questions either in my opinion or to the best of my knowledge.

I would ditch the 5X7 or 6x8's and do a nice set of 6.5" speakers with a set of adapters for front and rear. You will get better sound and less distortion (according to an RTA).

For a good amp.. I would look at your power requirements and go from there. take the peak power of your woofers and multiply that by .707 then by 2 that is what you need for RMS power from your amp. Go with a brand you know (JL Audio, Alpine, Phoenix Gold, ect.)

Dimming lights are not due to a capacitor not being present. It is due to your charging system not providing enough power. While capacitors will add a little stiffening they will only last for the first couple of initial surges being pulled from your amp. If your riding the line of your charging system then yes a Cap would be the answer but if you charging system (ie. alternator/battery setup) is not strong enough for your amplifiers then you will need to start upgrading there. With a little math you can find out what size alternator you will need. Efficient amplifiers will help in this department as well. Rule of thumb is 1 Farad per 600 watts of power.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the info. I'm uncertain about the capacitor since I have the dual alternators but I guess that is something I'll have to find out blindly. I really don't want to spend the money if I don't have to... But math is my forte so I'm sure I can figure it out with a little more research on what amps I choose to go with
Old 09-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Air Assault!!

With the dual alternator Setup i think you will be fine provided your batteries are strong and your amps aren't pulling gobs of current.

Last edited by MPTonyT; 09-15-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

After some more research last night, I'm going to need a fairly good sized amp to run the 2 subs and about 700 for the speakers. I'm going to take your advice and go with the 6.5". I've still got some more research to do but I'm really liking the Infinity Kappa 60.9cs component speakers right now.

Just trying to figure out where I'd want the tweeters. I'm thinking on the pillars, but I'm worried that on the driver side the gauge pod may cause me some trouble, so my other option would be on the top of the molding where the seatbelts are...
Old 09-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Air Assault!!

I currently have my tweets mounted in the pillars, even with a gauge pod. If i had to do it again i would go this route though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsSD View Post
I have mine mounted about 1" above the door speakers and they sound great.

Another solution is to check with the dealership for some tweeters from an 08 Superduty, they are molded into the sail panels that cover the mirror mounting bolts.

Here's the Ford part#'s for the 2008 Superduty tweeters:

7C3Z-17K709-DA
7C3Z-17K709-CA

Old 09-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Another place to consider for your tweeter mount:

Old 09-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
I have the Hifonics zeus series comp 6.5's up front, and the 6x8's in the rear. Powering them with a Hifonics 4 channel. Can't beat these speakers for the price. I have about 80w going to each speaker. It gets louder than you can stand it before they will distort.

I also have a 12" Vmax powered by a sundown SAZ.1000D
Old 09-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPTonyT View Post
I currently have my tweets mounted in the pillars, even with a gauge pod. If i had to do it again i would go this route though....
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOSEWHEEL View Post
Another place to consider for your tweeter mount:

I like those ideas! Especially the one in the mirror covers. Is it going to be worth the extra to do component speakers? I've never had the pleasure to have heard a system with components....
Old 09-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Definitely go round and definitely go components. A little more work but worth it in the end. Do it once, do it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.