Vacuum pump not working - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Vacuum pump not working

Where is the best place to get one of them, junkyard?

Its for a friends truck, it is stuck in defrost, so I think that means the vac pump isn't working . To tell you the truth, I haven't had a chance yet to diagnose this problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I took mine into the shop. Pretty sure they ordered the part from FORD. I would check Rockauto.com and see if they have it. My problems were the same and thats what they had diagnosed. Replaced the vacuum pump and it solved the problem. Hopefully this helps a little.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Serving Our Country!

turn the key on while someone stands next to the pump, then you'll know for sure if its working or not.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Drove our truck on a 200 mile trip through the mountains this weekend and everything worked PERFECTLY except for the last 10 miles when we noticed that the cabin was warming up and the A/C was on but not coming from the upper vents. It was coming from the defrost vents and maybe the floor vents. I got home and checked for vacuum leaks(there were none), and checked the operation of the vacuum pump and found that it was not turning on, so I disconnected the electrical connection to the pump which showed 12+ volts on the multimeter, plugged it back in and it worked again. I cleaned the connection with electrical contact cleaner and reconnected it and everything seems fine again.. weird.

Last edited by Rowe80013; 09-19-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltonUnlimited View Post
I took mine into the shop. Pretty sure they ordered the part from FORD. I would check Rockauto.com and see if they have it. My problems were the same and thats what they had diagnosed. Replaced the vacuum pump and it solved the problem. Hopefully this helps a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablos30 View Post
turn the key on while someone stands next to the pump, then you'll know for sure if its working or not.
I know it doesn't work, and I do have 12 volts at the connector. I will take a look at Rockauto. I always forget about that site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe80013 View Post
Drove our truck on a 200 mile trip through the mountains this weekend and everything worked PERFECTLY except for the last 10 miles when we noticed that the cabin was warming up and the A/C was on but not coming from the upper vents. It was coming from the defrost vents and maybe the floor vents. I got home and checked for vacuum leaks(there were none), and checked the operation of the vacuum pump and found that it was not turning on, so I disconnected the electrical connection to the pump which showed 12+ volts on the multimeter, plugged it back in and it worked again. I cleaned the connection with electrical contact cleaner and reconnected it and everything seems fine again.. weird.
I didn't get that lucky Ryan
Old 09-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The vacuum pump is easy to disassemble, and contains a piston pump, motor, electrical plug, check valves, and a small pressure switch. This switch has one moving part which is a small white plunger that is normally protruded and retracts when the vacuum pressure reaches a set level which lets a small bendable metal tab move away from its electrical source similar to a electric relay. On the plunger there is tiny thumb-screw that you turn in or out to vary the amount of pressure exerted on that bendable metal tab. Mine was stuck in the "open" position and all I had to do was turn that screw "in" a quarter to a half of a turn and the pressure switch again started working like it should. Vacuum pump is switching on and off like it should again and my vents/defroster are modulating like normal. It was a super easy fix and I hope this helps someone avoid buying a new pump.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:00 PM

I'm going to have to take a closer look at my buddies vac pump. Thanks Ryan!
Old 05-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
The vacuum pump is easy to disassemble, and contains a piston pump, motor, electrical plug, check valves, and a small pressure switch. This switch has one moving part which is a small white plunger that is normally protruded and retracts when the vacuum pressure reaches a set level which lets a small bendable metal tab move away from its electrical source similar to a electric relay. On the plunger there is tiny thumb-screw that you turn in or out to vary the amount of pressure exerted on that bendable metal tab. Mine was stuck in the "open" position and all I had to do was turn that screw "in" a quarter to a half of a turn and the pressure switch again started working like it should. Vacuum pump is switching on and off like it should again and my vents/defroster are modulating like normal. It was a super easy fix and I hope this helps someone avoid buying a new pump.
Any pictures of this?
Old 05-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Or pictures of this?
Old 02-24-2012, 03:19 AM
Serving Our Country!

subscribed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.