Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

CB Radio HELP

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  spikinfool05 
#1 ·
So, i've got a really cheap CB radio that i bought when me and some friends took a trip to Oklahoma City, we used it again this past weekend going to northern Ohio, however its a piece of crap and i'd like to spend some money on a permanent CB for my truck along with a nice antenna that is mounted on my toolbox.
I don't know anything at all about CB's, and i don't honestly even know what they cost. Can someone recommend a really nice radio that is affordable(i'm talking around $100 range?). Also, i'd like a good antenna. Not something that is semi truck tall, however something that will give me a really good range.

thanks in advance!

#4 ·
Agreed there its nice to stay cheap but there is a real serious level of CB's and thats the range you hit. I think my radio was 250 new... plus magnet base and a $60 antenna setup I just bought. 25 bucks to have him peak the radio.. then cables so.. Still I drool lookin in the case for the 4-500 radios :nod:

#3 ·
Cobra is my favorite... Galaxy radios are excellent as well just never owned one. Cobra LT29 and just pick one you like the most. New there faily cheap but keep your eye fr a used one. If you can ask around find the local truck/radio shop and like mine he has walls of ones he takes on trade. Fixes them up and mainly does a little peak and tuning. That is key. Stock radio's work well but it helps to get all you can out of one. You'll be safe around like 150 or so. Antenna... I loved my toolbox/bed mounted one. it is a 4' firestick (fiberglass antenna rubber dipped) so they look good. Stuck only a foot or so over cab but I couldn't get it tuned right for that antenna. Mine may look like an RC car right now but damn does it work better and way more tunable for the SWR's... They key is centered and as high as it can go (up to 102" which is a CB wavel length). So higher the better and the truck centered is key.. Hense the wire antenna I am runnin with a coil base and center of my roof. magnet mounted. I do wish I had the regular mount againb ut it works so much better this way....

Look around don't be scared of used if a CB shop has played with it. Easy fixin..> Sucks for you I just sold an AWSOME Cobra LT29 Black Chrome model for 75 bucks haha.

#5 · (Edited)
alright well i think i'm gonna go with the Cobra 29 LTD Classic. Now just to find an antenna, i just took a look at the Firestik ones. I want good range with the LTD 29, so should i go with the "KW" antenna or "FS". I show that the prices arent too much different however the "FS" has a much higher wattage, excuse my ignorance but does that mean that i will get a farther range?

#6 ·
also, does anyone have pictures of their toolbox mounted antennas? i'd like to see some ideas on how to mount mine.

#8 ·
You can get a good Galaxy or Texas Ranger for around $134 online, I just checked. Amazon had a few. Get one of those radios and a Wilson 1000, or a Wilson "little Wil" and tune it and you will be talking good.

#10 ·
i've heard nothing but good about the Cobra 29 LTD Classic, and i found a really good deal for one, so i picked that up today, as well as i ordered a 4' Firestik II "FS" antenna. Now i just need to mount it to my toolbox, and get some coax :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.