Radio Upgrade W/ The Works - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 03:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Radio Upgrade W/ The Works

My current radio is the base CD with cass tape, which works fine but I would like to put in one that had built in Navagation, Blue Tooth, DVD, Sat ready and reverse camera ready. I have done hours of searchs on the internet for review of radios and there is very little information out there. I have narrowed my choice down between the Pionner AVIC series (Z120BT) most likely and a few of the Kenwoods at this time.

My most important feature is hands free operation of my phone as I travel alot. It seems from the review I have found that Pionner has the upper hand in this area. Second would be navigation, (same reason) that gives you good route mapping. I would like to know what route it has picked before I start not just when I will arrive. Kenwood uses Garmin and I have a Garmin GPS now, but sometimes it take me thur areas I would rather not travel. It would be nice to have a list of the route, or an overall picture before starting.

From the reviews I have found most of the complaints are with the BT voice of the phone. Many say that they can hear the calling party fine, but their side of the conversation is lacking. I put 40K miles on my old truck last year, so I spend a lot of hours behind the wheel. I would love to have the Ford Sync system, but that's not an option on this year. If someone knows a system that works as good as Sync does I would really like to hear about it. That is one of the reasons for for the Z120BT, It sounds like it is close, but have not seen a working model.

What are your thoughts, or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010, 01:55 PM

definately the Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT
Old 08-08-2010, 02:21 PM

I have the sync system and to be honest it is only good for incoming calls. It is a pain to voice dial with (have so many similar names). And every time I use it with my iPod, I get a blaring voice asking me to fill in artist/album info, which is not available for some of my music. I personally just use an FM transmitter for tunes and my JawBone headset for calls. I love how the AVIC series looks and functions, but like you I already have a Garmin GPS and have no use for such a unit. FWIW, I can view the route by tapping the top of the screen where it lists the current instruction.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhoghp View Post
I have the sync system and to be honest it is only good for incoming calls. It is a pain to voice dial with (have so many similar names). And every time I use it with my iPod, I get a blaring voice asking me to fill in artist/album info, which is not available for some of my music. I personally just use an FM transmitter for tunes and my JawBone headset for calls. I love how the AVIC series looks and functions, but like you I already have a Garmin GPS and have no use for such a unit. FWIW, I can view the route by tapping the top of the screen where it lists the current instruction.
While I was at the dealership I had a few demos with sync I really enjoyed the system and the way it worked. Have you upgraded your firmware on your sync system? Go to syncmyride.com and registar your system and it will tell you if upgrades are avalible. A simple thumb drive and a USB on your computer is all you need. I had a few different phones sync but the Motos always worked the best.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAW-DOG View Post
While I was at the dealership I had a few demos with sync I really enjoyed the system and the way it worked. Have you upgraded your firmware on your sync system? Go to syncmyride.com and registar your system and it will tell you if upgrades are avalible. A simple thumb drive and a USB on your computer is all you need. I had a few different phones sync but the Motos always worked the best.
To the OP, sorry for the hijack... I know there is an update, just need to find the time to try it. I use my beloved BB Bold 9700 and it plays nice with the system sometimes which the update would likely fix.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:33 PM

hav u looked at ECLIPSE radios? i jus put one in my dodge and its BA man. it has everything that u mentioned, except i didnt get the bluetooth for mine.

i got mine from a guy on the cummins forum for 375 shipped with the NAVI stuff, all the interfaces to install it and a IPOD interface. iv got the AVN52D
Old 08-08-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDiesel View Post
hav u looked at ECLIPSE radios? i jus put one in my dodge and its BA man. it has everything that u mentioned, except i didnt get the bluetooth for mine.

i got mine from a guy on the cummins forum for 375 shipped with the NAVI stuff, all the interfaces to install it and a IPOD interface. iv got the AVN52D
do they make the radios for Toyota? if so I heard that they are getting out of the aftermarket side.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:14 AM

when i was researching mine i saw a vid of a guy using his, i think it was in a toyota. long as the vehicle's dash can hald a double din radio i dont see why not. PAC makes all kinds of interfaces for newer vehicles, like for my 08 dodge has to hav CAN-BUS.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:41 AM

I think that one of the local shops I looked at an Eclipse radio. The sales staff there said they made the factory radios for Toyota, but were leaving the aftermarkert side. They where putting the radios on clearence due to that. I found a video on you tube of the intro on the Z120BT from Pioneer, it really looks like they are a few steps ahead of the other units I have seen.

I would still like to hear from someone that has one, and how they thinks it preforms.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:53 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
ECLIPSE is no longer producing radios...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.