Which wires in the radio harness are for the Steering Wheel Remote? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 06:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which wires in the radio harness are for the Steering Wheel Remote?

Bought and installed a Alpine IXA-W404 head unit on my '05 F250. It is supposed to be compatible with the steering wheel controls with no adapter needed, just need to splice in to the correct wires on the harness. Only problem is I can't find which wires in the harness are for the steering wheel controls. Does anybody know which color wires on the harness are the inputs for the steering wheel controls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 06:46 AM
Air Assault!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MPTonyT
The blue/red in the 24 pin harness in pin 18 is the only wire. I have never heard of them not needing our SWI-JACK (i work for PAC). Ill do some looking.

Edit: Alpine says........

Steering Wheel Remote Ready
This receiver is compatible with the steering wheel remote controls available in many vehicles. You can take out your factory radio, put in the Alpine, and still have the convenience of operating your sound system from the steering wheel. Ask your authorized retailer for available interfaces.

Let me know if you need one.

Last edited by MPTonyT; 07-07-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:58 PM

Tony, I installed a pioneer avic f700bt in my truck and have lived without the steering wheel controls for a while. Do you know which module I need to make them work?
Old 07-08-2010, 05:15 AM
Air Assault!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0DSLPWR View Post
Tony, I installed a pioneer avic f700bt in my truck and have lived without the steering wheel controls for a while. Do you know which module I need to make them work?
The SWI-PS from P.A.C. will do the trick. It will accommodate the 4 available controls on the wheel perfectly. We also offer the WRI-P that will allow you to use a wireless remote as well (incase the 4 button on the wheel are not enough). It can be used in conjunction with the SWI-PS.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPTonyT View Post
The blue/red in the 24 pin harness in pin 18 is the only wire. I have never heard of them not needing our SWI-JACK (i work for PAC). Ill do some looking.

Edit: Alpine says........

Steering Wheel Remote Ready
This receiver is compatible with the steering wheel remote controls available in many vehicles. You can take out your factory radio, put in the Alpine, and still have the convenience of operating your sound system from the steering wheel. Ask your authorized retailer for available interfaces.

Let me know if you need one.
I'll have to get back with you on that. The Alpine has a remote input jack that has two wires labeled remote input out and remote input in. On the same jack there is a hookup for the reverse lamps (for camera) and for a monitor control (rear DVD). I assume that these two leads for the remotes hook into the interface from PAC?

Sorry for all the questions, my first DIY radio install that is more than a factory swap.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:56 AM
Air Assault!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle B View Post
I'll have to get back with you on that. The Alpine has a remote input jack that has two wires labeled remote input out and remote input in. On the same jack there is a hookup for the reverse lamps (for camera) and for a monitor control (rear DVD). I assume that these two leads for the remotes hook into the interface from PAC?

Sorry for all the questions, my first DIY radio install that is more than a factory swap.
Those are remote wires for another application. Right next to (just to the right) were those wires enter the head unit there is a 3.5mm headphone jack input into the back of your radio. This is where the SWI-JACK will to plug into the back of the head unit.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPTonyT View Post
Those are remote wires for another application. Right next to (just to the right) were those wires enter the head unit there is a 3.5mm headphone jack input into the back of your radio. This is where the SWI-JACK will to plug into the back of the head unit.
OK, that makes more sense now. Thanks for the help. I'll get in contact with you at a later date about the interface. For now I've been using the IR remote that came with the radio and haven't really missed the steering wheel controls. I just hate having things on the truck that aren't doing what they were meant to be doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.