Issue with upfitter switches.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Issue with upfitter switches....

Ok, bare with me here, I'm not an electrical guy by any means. I bought the upfitters for my truck around christmas time, since mind didn't come with them. Install was easy as pie. I then wired up 4 hella 500 55w lights on the front of the truck to the upfitter switches.

Aux 1 is wired to one pair of these lights. The lights should draw ~ 4.5 amps each, so its a little more than 9amps total on the 30amp relay, which should be no issue at all.

Aux 2 is wired to the other pair, same style light just this pair is fog and the others are driving

Aux 4 is wired to high idle.

Aux 3 is empty.

Ok so today I go to change the bulbs in the Hellas (changing from factory yellowish bulbs to a blue/white bulb to some what match my HID's)

Fogs on Aux 2 get swapped and I test them and they work fine as expected.

Driving lights on Aux 1 get swapped, I hit the switch and nothing... I swap the old bulbs back in thinking the bulbs were junk and now the old bulbs dont work either. I have the lights wired to the "pass through" wires that Ford put in there from the factory. (I think blue/black/white/red). They are wired directly to those, then right to the upfitters right above the e-brake. I start testing with my multi-meter. I get all the way into the truck now by the PCM where the upfitter relay box connects. Still no power there. I replace the relay in the upfitter box, and still nothing. The Aux 1 switch is lighting up like normal though as that is getting power....

What the heck else can I check? I would assume relay at this point, but I swapped in a brand new one and nothing... wtf? Any ideas... I am not an electrical guy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 09:27 PM

Does the wiring from the light look good to where ever you routed it? If you swap the lights from aux1 to aux2 and from aux2 to aux1 do the driving lights come on? If not, manually test each light with spare wire from the battery to the lights.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:07 PM

I didn't touch any of that since it came in the kit from Ford like this. It runs from the relay box above the passenger glove box, to the middle by the brake controller (the switches), then runs over to the PCM and plugs in there. That is all in the harness from the kit.

I suppose I can swap the wires tomorrow, and I have a feeling the lights will work when swapped. Maybe I should try another relay? I've never really had a relay go bad though, and I don't see why it would with only 9amps drawing on a 30amp relay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.