KICKER CVTs HIT SOOO HARD! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KICKER CVTs HIT SOOO HARD!

SO I THOUGHT I WOULD POST THIS THREAD SO IF THERE WAS ANYONE OUT THERE LOOKING FOR A GOOD SUB THAT WILL FIT BEHIND THE SEAT..THEY WILL NOW KNOW!

I BOUGHT A PRE FABRICATED BOX FROM A LOCAL STEREO SHOP AND 2 12" KICKER CVTs. THE BOX CAME WITH 10" HOLES SO I WAS KIND OF WORRIED THE 12s WOULDNT SOUND GOOD, O HOW I WAS WRONG..I POWERED THE SUBS WITH 1 ALPINE PDX 1.1000 WHICH IS AN AWESOME AMP.

SO TO GET THE BOX TO FIT I ENDED UP HAVING TO CUT THAT LITTLE CARPET PEICE BEHIND THE SEAT, BUT I ONLY CUT IT LIKE HALF WAY DOWN SO WHEN I PUT THE BOX IN U CANT EVEN TELL ITS NOT THERE. I WAS PRETTY IMPRESSED WITH HOW THE BOX FIT.. ANYWAYS SO AFTER RUNNING ALL THE WIRES AND CRAP I TURNED THAT BABY ON AND WOOWWWWWWW THEY HIT SOOO HARD AND IT WAS VERY CLEAN BASS. AND FOR PEOPLE THAT ARE UNSURE ABOUT WHAT I CONSIDER HITTING HARD MY LAST TRUCK HAD AN ALPINE 12" TYPE R IN A CUSTOM MADE BOX AND THESE 2 12S HIT HARDER AND CLEANER THAN THAT..AND THESE ARE SHALLOW MOUNT SUBS...

ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO I BOUGHT SOME PIONEER SHALLOW MOUNTS AN THEY WERE THE WORST SUBS I HAVE EVER HAD, SO I WAS A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT THESE. BUT DONT BE FOOLED THEY SOUND AMAZING...IF ANYONE WANTS TO BUY A SET I THINK SONICELECTRONIX.COM IS HAVING A SALE BUY ANY KICKER SUB GET ONE FOR FREE!

ANYWAYS IF ANYONE OUT THERE IS LOOKING FOR A BAD A$$ SYSTEM THESE KICKER SUBS ARE GREATTTT. JUST MAKE SURE U GET A BIG AMP CUZ THEY ARE POWER HUNGRY LITTLE SUBS AND IF U DONT GET A BIG ENOUGH AMP THEY WONT HIT HARD...OBVIOUSLY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Good to hear! Our dually has some crappy 8" or 10" Eclipse subs and they just don't cut it, especially when our other car has 12" Kicker CVR's. Maybe I'll upgrade some day.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL_POWERSTROKE View Post
SO I THOUGHT I WOULD POST THIS THREAD SO IF THERE WAS ANYONE OUT THERE LOOKING FOR A GOOD SUB THAT WILL FIT BEHIND THE SEAT..THEY WILL NOW KNOW!

I BOUGHT A PRE FABRICATED BOX FROM A LOCAL STEREO SHOP AND 2 12" KICKER CVTs. THE BOX CAME WITH 10" HOLES SO I WAS KIND OF WORRIED THE 12s WOULDNT SOUND GOOD, O HOW I WAS WRONG..I POWERED THE SUBS WITH 1 ALPINE PDX 1.1000 WHICH IS AN AWESOME AMP.

SO TO GET THE BOX TO FIT I ENDED UP HAVING TO CUT THAT LITTLE CARPET PEICE BEHIND THE SEAT, BUT I ONLY CUT IT LIKE HALF WAY DOWN SO WHEN I PUT THE BOX IN U CANT EVEN TELL ITS NOT THERE. I WAS PRETTY IMPRESSED WITH HOW THE BOX FIT.. ANYWAYS SO AFTER RUNNING ALL THE WIRES AND CRAP I TURNED THAT BABY ON AND WOOWWWWWWW THEY HIT SOOO HARD AND IT WAS VERY CLEAN BASS. AND FOR PEOPLE THAT ARE UNSURE ABOUT WHAT I CONSIDER HITTING HARD MY LAST TRUCK HAD AN ALPINE 12" TYPE R IN A CUSTOM MADE BOX AND THESE 2 12S HIT HARDER AND CLEANER THAN THAT..AND THESE ARE SHALLOW MOUNT SUBS...

ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO I BOUGHT SOME PIONEER SHALLOW MOUNTS AN THEY WERE THE WORST SUBS I HAVE EVER HAD, SO I WAS A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT THESE. BUT DONT BE FOOLED THEY SOUND AMAZING...IF ANYONE WANTS TO BUY A SET I THINK SONICELECTRONIX.COM IS HAVING A SALE BUY ANY KICKER SUB GET ONE FOR FREE!

ANYWAYS IF ANYONE OUT THERE IS LOOKING FOR A BAD A$$ SYSTEM THESE KICKER SUBS ARE GREATTTT. JUST MAKE SURE U GET A BIG AMP CUZ THEY ARE POWER HUNGRY LITTLE SUBS AND IF U DONT GET A BIG ENOUGH AMP THEY WONT HIT HARD...OBVIOUSLY
What's the internal volume of the box do you know? You have any pictures of the box before you put it in and after? The only shallow-mounts I have heard were JL's, but the Kickers are quite a bit cheaper obviously I really need to redo my dad's CC, and shallow-mounts is really what he needs. I've got some old school Orion XTR's in there now and the box really isn't big enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeG View Post
Good to hear! Our dually has some crappy 8" or 10" Eclipse subs and they just don't cut it, especially when our other car has 12" Kicker CVR's. Maybe I'll upgrade some day.
Don't take this the wrong way Jamie, but if those Eclipse's don't sound good, either the box, the amp, the speakers, a combination of them is not right. Eclipse makes very good equipment...

-Matt

Last edited by mmccraney; 06-28-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:15 AM

Hmmm, just looked. There not having that sale anymore.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:34 AM

how do they compare to the solo-baric l7?? i had one l7 12 in my last ride that thing was crazy!!
Old 06-30-2010, 08:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

my buddy has a 15 inch L7 and of course the l7 hits harder! but he had a hugeee box sitting on top of his seat so no one could sit in the back...my box sits right behind my seat and u cant even see it! like i said though the box was a pre fabricated box so im not sure what all the dimesnions were but im sure u can look up like a Ground Shaker box and it will be very close to whaty i have...theres not much room to make the boxes diff. and the box is one big box not 2 individual boxes...i gurantee this thing will hit harder than those eclipses or those JL shallow mounts, these are rated at 400 RMS each! u just better plan on getting a BIG amp ...ill try to post a pic later
Old 06-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

o and by the way the box is sealed...my buddy had a sub box behind his seat and the stereo shop ported it for him and it sounded like crap! whenever u have a ported box its got to be HUGE and these shallow mounts we designed for shallow sealed boxes..
Old 06-30-2010, 09:03 AM

good to hear. i was curious to wat these sounded like. i had kicker CVR15s in my OBS and they were unreal. hit so hard u couldnt swallow. kickers r VERY power hungry speakers, and from all the kickers ive heard they done hav clean sound but they do hit hard enough to shake the earth. ima be putting the same CVR15s in my mega cab with some boxes made to go behind the seat. when me and my bro tested them in the garage i thought the lil boxes they were in would jus butcher the sound, believe it or not they POUNDED. not as ahrd as the box i made for my ext cab OBS that filled up the entire EXT cab space, but i was impressed.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL_POWERSTROKE View Post
o and by the way the box is sealed...my buddy had a sub box behind his seat and the stereo shop ported it for him and it sounded like crap! whenever u have a ported box its got to be HUGE and these shallow mounts we designed for shallow sealed boxes..
Well that's not entirely true; it really depends on the driver. When you have a vented enclosure it needs to have the proper amount AND relation of internal volume to port area. Just because its ported doen't mean it needs to be huge.

Having said that, a ported box will need to be larger for the same driver than a sealed one. Depending on the tuning frequency you're after, you can adjust internal volume, port volume and drivers to get where you need to be.

And you CANNOT expect to just port a box that was originally designed as sealed and expect it to sound like anything buy crapola BUT, a properly designed ported box will ALWAYS be louder with the same driver and power than sealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDiesel View Post
good to hear. i was curious to wat these sounded like. i had kicker CVR15s in my OBS and they were unreal. hit so hard u couldnt swallow. kickers r VERY power hungry speakers, and from all the kickers ive heard they done hav clean sound but they do hit hard enough to shake the earth. ima be putting the same CVR15s in my mega cab with some boxes made to go behind the seat. when me and my bro tested them in the garage i thought the lil boxes they were in would jus butcher the sound, believe it or not they POUNDED. not as ahrd as the box i made for my ext cab OBS that filled up the entire EXT cab space, but i was impressed.
Confirmed I can't wait to see what these sound like in the truck, but I still think you are going to run into low frequency extension issues. We will probably end up stuffing them full of polyfill to get them to hit lower...

-Matt

Last edited by mmccraney; 06-30-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccraney View Post
Well that's not entirely true; it really depends on the driver. When you have a vented enclosure it needs to have the proper amount AND relation of internal volume to port area. Just because its ported doen't mean it needs to be huge.

Having said that, a ported box will need to be larger for the same driver than a sealed one. Depending on the tuning frequency you're after, you can adjust internal volume, port volume and drivers to get where you need to be.

And you CANNOT expect to just port a box that was originally designed as sealed and expect it to sound like anything buy crapola BUT, a properly designed ported box will ALWAYS be louder with the same driver and power than sealed

Confirmed I can't wait to see what these sound like in the truck, but I still think you are going to run into low frequency extension issues. We will probably end up stuffing them full of polyfill to get them to hit lower...

-Matt

i agree with u on most points. but as far as the ported box sounding louder maybe but i dont think ive ever heard a ported box that sounded as clean as a sealed box IMO...but i doubt ive ever heard one that was built properly..ive had soooo many stereo shops build me boxes and majority of them have nooo effin idea what theyre doing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.