Adding a speaker switch - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Adding a speaker switch

I am looking into adding marine speakers in my truck bed under my cover. I want to add a switch in the cab so they are not on all the time. Anyone done this before? I can only find switches for use at home. Also, are there additional jacks for speakers on the 03 stock stereos? I will eventually be getting a new stereo but waiting a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010, 04:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I highly doubt there are any additional "speaker jacks". Most likely you'll have to purchase what's known as a line output converter and tap into the rear speakers you have. The line output converter will allow you to run a set of RCA's into an amplifier. The amplifier can then power your bed speakers.

Now each amplifier is turned on via a 5 volt or greater signal from the truck so that it's not running when the stereo is off. You could easily install an inline switch, or switch + relay if you wanted to be really safe, onto this remote wire. Essentially turning on the amplifier and thus the speakers whenever you wanted to.

If you had an aftermarket head unit, it would already have the RCA outputs on the back of it and save you having to purchase the line output converter and typically produces a cleaner sound as well.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Those run around $25 so I may look into it. I have been looking at all types of aftermarket stereos as well. Now I want to go all out and get a 7" LCD screen with DVD, Nav, Aux Input, MP#, USB, Rear Camera.....

I appreciate the advice.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003PSD View Post
Now I want to go all out and get a 7" LCD screen with DVD, Nav, Aux Input, MP#, USB, Rear Camera.....

I did that a few years ago and am very glad I did! I have everything in one unit. Including a camera on the back of my trailer that really makes it nice when on the highway and when maneuvering it.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:49 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
I don't know if you ever got this setup or no OP, but I figured I'd put my 0.02c in. FYI; this is a very simple install, but you are going to need another amp if you're running the stock stereo for the best results IMHO. You won't need anything durastic for what you're trying to do, you should be able to pick one up for less than $75, and 1 set of speakers should run you $100-250 depending on brand and quality...

The easiest way to do it is to run another amplifier, and get one that has line-level inputs. This will allow you to tap into the rear speaker wires without the use of a LOC. The more amp/pre-amp components or processing equipment you put in the audio chain, the greater the chance for noise - keep it simple...

You'll need to run a 12v+ constant wire to the new amp, ground it (the amp, not the 12v+ wire ), and run another switched 12v+ wire to the amp; the last one is how you'll turn on the bed amp/speakers when you need them. Use that switched 12v+ wire however you'd like to turn on the amp; factory ignition 12v+, toggle switch, headlights, nitrous button, etc.

You will then need to get ahold of one (or both, if you are wanting l/r balance & "stereo" effect for the bed speakers) of the rear speaker wires and run them to the amp's line-level inputs. Run your speaker wires from the amp to whereever you've got your bed speakers at and you're good to go. BUT - if you're like me and do not run rear-fill, you won't have any signal at the rear speakers - you'll need to pull signal from the front or adjsut your fade everytime you want to use your bed speakers.

Feel free to post up or PM me if you have any questions or need help tracking down equipment. Sorry for the long post, but I just got my truck and have been going through stereo withdrawls - I haven't had anything other than my bike for over 8 months...

-Matt

Last edited by mmccraney; 06-25-2010 at 05:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.