Installing a Homelink garage door opener - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-20-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up Installing a Homelink garage door opener

I just added a Homelink unit to my overhead console and it works great!!!

I have been worried about leaving my garage door in the truck all of the time so I bought a Homelink garage door opener from a Land Rover Discovery off of ebay and installed it in my overhead console.

I just cut out a mounting hole in my sunglass holder compartment, installed the Homelink, and wired it to the power wires for my electronic mirror. It will only work when the key is on so no one can get into my truck and just open my garage door now.

Here are some pics:

2005 F-250 CC/SB 4x4 medium wedgewood blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5" lift, 5" Donahoe rear springs, 35x13.50 MTZ's, 18x12 Fuel Hostage wheels, 4.30 gears, Banks 4" exhaust, Airraid intake, SCT from Innovative, ARP headstuds, Bulletproof ficm, Scangauge II, Randy Ellis Design lightbar, Street Scene flares, Harpoon mod, Zoodad mod, LED 2010 taillights, Switchback LED front turn signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-20-2010, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nice job.

2007 6.0 PSD,F350 4X4 Lariat,CC, DRW,9' Knapheide body, stainless steel lader rack, SCT with custom tunes, ARP's, EGR delete, ITP RR, Airdog II 130/75, Garrett Powermax, Banks turbo back, Firestone air bags, Autometer gauges

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-20-2010, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did you just have to run power to it to install it and that was it, like its a stand alone module that just needs power? How about programming, did you find instructions online (I didn't look yet but figure they must be out there somewhere)

2005 F-250 supercab longbed 4x4
post #4 of 6 Old 05-20-2010, 08:36 PM
SC Premium Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That's sweet!!! The wife's Expedition has the small Homelink module that's flush mounted into the sun visor. I figured it had to just be powered off of the same power that the vanity mirror uses and was right. I nabbed a gray one from the junk yard from a wrecked Explorer and have it apart, but need more time. Now that the monitors are done though might be a good time to get to it.

Again, sweet install!!

Take care
............Greg

--------------------------------------------
2006 F250 CC FX4/Lariat * Chrome PKG * 2011 F250 8-spoke wheels * Toyo OC ATII 35x12.5x20 * MOD's (Zoo-dad, Fog light, Homelink, High Idle, THRC) * 4" TB MBRP * SCT w/Innovative Diesel's Xtreme Street Tune * Blocked EGR cooler * Isspro gauges * Dieselsite's Coolant Filtration System * RCX 3" Lift w/2.2 Shocks * RCX dual 2.2 steering stabilizer * * lots more coming ...

post #5 of 6 Old 05-20-2010, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
The homelink is a stand alone unit, all it needs is a hot power wire and a ground. The programming is very simple, here are the instructions right off the Homelink site: http://www.homelink.com/program_instruct.php

There are alot of them on ebay, just search for "homelink" I bought this one because I didn't want to try tearing apart my visor to install that style.

You don't have to run wires all the way up to the roof, just tap into an existing hot wire, I think the hot wire for the vanity mirrors is hot all the time if you want it set up that way. I wired mine into the harness for my electronic mirror because that is only hot when the key is on.

For cutting the plastic to mount it, I use a soldering gun with a flat, blade type tip (kind of smelly but no mess). Then I use a file to finish up the edges.

2005 F-250 CC/SB 4x4 medium wedgewood blue

5" lift, 5" Donahoe rear springs, 35x13.50 MTZ's, 18x12 Fuel Hostage wheels, 4.30 gears, Banks 4" exhaust, Airraid intake, SCT from Innovative, ARP headstuds, Bulletproof ficm, Scangauge II, Randy Ellis Design lightbar, Street Scene flares, Harpoon mod, Zoodad mod, LED 2010 taillights, Switchback LED front turn signals
post #6 of 6 Old 05-20-2010, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
thats a pretty sweet setup... the install looks very good

-Raul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode