Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Switched bed light

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Old462 
#1 ·
Modded my bed light so it's on a switch instead of on/off with the dome light. Easy mod. Spliced into the headlight harness (orange w/blue stripe) for my hot wire, ran thru SPST switch on dash, then wire out to bed light. The wire to tap in to on the bed light is the black w/blue stripe. Access to bed light was easy - pull third brake light off cab, then pull interior light from inside cab. Nice, easy to work with hole from inside cab to back side of third brake light. Also put my XM radio antenna center-mounted above third brake light, since I was in the area. Small smear of clear RTV to seal any crack on top of third brake light to avoid any water getting in.:thumb: Sorry, no pics.

#2 ·
It sucks that Ford just takes the cheap way out and wires it into the dome light :(

I wired mine to a switch also, but I used a lighted pushbutton switch from Radioshack and wired it to a full time hot wire so I don't have to turn the key on or the lights to activate it.

If I am outside the truck, I just reach in and push the button, here's a picture of my switch:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.