which battery to run amplifiers to? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
which battery to run amplifiers to?

I've never owned a truck with dual batteries under the hood before, so i'm just wondering which battery would be best to run my amplifiers off of?

I've had some serious serious stereo installs with large battery banks, and obviously i would link to the battery furthest away from charge (alternator) for proper drainage and charge reasons.

Can anyone tell me which battery the alternator/starter is ran to?

I'de go play around right now.... but its raining
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 05:08 PM

I have my amp and compresor ran from the driver side. But the Ford Tech said to always "jump of" other people from the passenger battery.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:20 PM

The batteries are connected in paralell. If you drain one,you drain both.
You could consider a third battery underneath the truck with a battery isolator (as used in campers?) The isolator would permit the chargeing system to charge the battery...but be isolated for other purposes. A deep cycle marine battery would be best.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:28 PM

Batteries are parallel...so technically they are both "equi-distant" from charge. I would think that a line conditoner/capacitor set up in front of the amps will be all you need...also, you may want to run redundant chassis grounds, those two have always worked for me.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:40 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
You should do the dirvers but it really doesnt matter. The passenger side is hooked directly to the started.

It does make difference because if you wear out the passenger side battery not drain it I mean make it weak the drivers battery wont be able to transfer as much juice through the cable that connects the two.

Not to mention there will be another battery in the way of getting the juice to the starter. Having an amp hooked to the starting battery will cause it to have to be recharged more.

Even though you think they get drained at the same time the accessory hooked directly to the battery will drain that one more especially if you are running say a 1000w amp. It will cause at least 700w to be drawn from the battery directly and the other battery will provide the other 300w.

Direct contact always is better so it will flow more juice from one than the other.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:12 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It actually does not matter and the minute amount of impedance in the copper wiring connecting one battery to the other will be immaterial to the current draw from EACH battery. Long story short-you can connect it to EITHER battery and be fine.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
It actually does not matter and the minute amount of impedance in the copper wiring connecting one battery to the other will be immaterial to the current draw from EACH battery. Long story short-you can connect it to EITHER battery and be fine.
+1

And if you're concerned about draw, upgrade the alternator and the related wires.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:27 PM

Either battery is fine but its much easier going through the firewall on the drivers side.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:31 PM

Mines hooked to the driver side
Old 03-27-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereku View Post
You should do the dirvers but it really doesnt matter. The passenger side is hooked directly to the started.

It does make difference because if you wear out the passenger side battery not drain it I mean make it weak the drivers battery wont be able to transfer as much juice through the cable that connects the two.

Not to mention there will be another battery in the way of getting the juice to the starter. Having an amp hooked to the starting battery will cause it to have to be recharged more.

Even though you think they get drained at the same time the accessory hooked directly to the battery will drain that one more especially if you are running say a 1000w amp. It will cause at least 700w to be drawn from the battery directly and the other battery will provide the other 300w.

Direct contact always is better so it will flow more juice from one than the other.
This is what ive been told.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.