Crew Cab Sound Upgrade - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Crew Cab Sound Upgrade

Just wanting to get some advise from some of you that have SPL2K boxes in your trucks. Which one sounds better the one 12 in the ported box or the two 12's in the sealed box. I listen two all kinds of music. My truck is a 2006 FX4 crew cab lariat. I will also be replacing the head unit and door speakers, have decided on either Boston Acoustics in the doors or Pioneer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2010, 05:20 PM

Can't offer you a comparison, since I haven't had one type and then switched to another. What I can tell you is that I have a sealed 12". It sounds great. I listen to rock mostly, but Dr. Dre and Nelly sound pretty good in my truck, too...

I've got a pair of Infinity Kappa 680.9cs up front, stock speakers in the rear, and a slim Pioneer sub powered by a MTX Thunder 502. I can't say that I have a desire to go bigger...
Old 03-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Single ported 12.

you only have to buy 1 sub and its louder.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:28 AM

i have the single ported 12 and i gotta say that im pretty impressed by it. It's what SPL2K recommended to me.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys for the input. What size amp will I need to run one 12 inch sub. I think the shallow mount 12 is rated at 1500 watts. I have been looking at some Boston Acoustics SC85's to put in the doors and the back along with a Pioneer AVH-P4200 head unit.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:32 AM

any amp rated around 500-1000 will work great for the pioneer sub that he recommends with that box. I have mine hooked up with an 800 watt mtx and it sounds great.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:13 PM

Were can I see pics of this box installed?
Old 03-15-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2deisel View Post
Were can I see pics of this box installed?
BoxWorX
Old 03-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I have the SPL2K box as well. I went with the single ported 12 and LOVE it!! And thats with it not even powered like it needs to be. I just have a Rockford Fosgate P2002 on mine. Talk to Michael (at SPL2K), he recommends a Digital Designs SS1A , that I'm dying to get, just have too many other things the money is going to right now.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFireman1972 View Post
I have the SPL2K box as well. I went with the single ported 12 and LOVE it!! And thats with it not even powered like it needs to be. I just have a Rockford Fosgate P2002 on mine. Talk to Michael (at SPL2K), he recommends a Digital Designs SS1A , that I'm dying to get, just have too many other things the money is going to right now.
IM assuming you have a single 4 ohm sub in there by the amp you are running right now. If that is the case the SS1A would not be a good amp for you. It would barely be putting out anymore power than you have now since it's designed to be ran at 2 ohm and is even 1 ohm stable. You need to find an amp that is designed to be ran at 4 ohm. No on the other hand if you have a 2 ohm sub and you are running it with that amp then you are only putting about 100 watts to it and are barely even powering that amp, and possibly doing damage to it since running a sub way under powered can do damage just like running them way over powered can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.