Installed DEI Clifford 50.7x, Remote Start Issue... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installed DEI Clifford 50.7x, Remote Start Issue...

So after reading a few install horror stories here, I paid someone to install my alarm... It is basically identical to the Viper 5901 (SST, remote start, turbo timer, etc.). During the demo, I noticed that the truck did not start right away, and usually had to go to the third try before it would remote start.

Is this the typical "tach wire" issue?

Should I have them look for an injector wire for the signal?

Adjust the voltage sensing setting?

Any help would be appreciated. It was late last night, so I told the tech that I would return when I dug up some information for him.

I otherwise love the alarm. A heck of a lot of features, 1 mile range, and a lot of information in the 2-way remote. The delay for glow plug is just fine, and the turbo timer feature is cool. I got a heck of a deal on it, and paid approximately $200 for the install ($120 + 65 for the "key chip module" although I'm not sure I needed it...).

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 11:28 AM

I've had this alarm since its release 6 months ago and I love it!! You didn't need a key module, there is no transponder in your key. Mine starts everytime with the virtual tach and I love having the app on my phone with with the smartstart..
Old 02-09-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamijdm View Post
I've had this alarm since its release 6 months ago and I love it!! You didn't need a key module, there is no transponder in your key. Mine starts everytime with the virtual tach and I love having the app on my phone with with the smartstart..
Yeah, I bought it after reading the "stolen" horror stories--my truck had no factory alarm... Virtual tach? Can you elaborate? Thanks!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Air Assault!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MPTonyT
It sounds like they set your system up Tachless. I tried to do this on my buddies 2003 6.0 and it would not work. Each time the starter restarts it will crank .5 seconds longer then the try before. Tell the installer that the green/white wire in the main harness under the dash coming from the engine bay is your tach wire. It will terminate up further in the loom to just a piece of heat shrink. Tap that, set the vehicle to Tach Sense, program the tach and the rest is history.

The Alternators on the PSTD's are not the right type to do voltage sensing (tried that as well).

Good Luck.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:42 AM

there is a learned feature with these newer alarms called virtual tach. Have the installer call directechs to see how it works.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPTonyT View Post
It sounds like they set your system up Tachless. I tried to do this on my buddies 2003 6.0 and it would not work. Each time the starter restarts it will crank .5 seconds longer then the try before. Tell the installer that the green/white wire in the main harness under the dash coming from the engine bay is your tach wire. It will terminate up further in the loom to just a piece of heat shrink. Tap that, set the vehicle to Tach Sense, program the tach and the rest is history.

The Alternators on the PSTD's are not the right type to do voltage sensing (tried that as well).

Good Luck.
your right, the alternator on these trucks can take up to 30 seconds to start charging after startup!
Old 02-09-2010, 12:02 PM

Great, thanks guys. I'll take it back on Thursday (when this doggone rain is gone--it's a friggin' cold 55 degrees out! )
Old 02-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

How about posting a follow up to this issue. I would like to get a remote start unit but after having problems with my 2001 Lightning and a remote start, I am a little leary about installing one.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka Toy View Post
How about posting a follow up to this issue. I would like to get a remote start unit but after having problems with my 2001 Lightning and a remote start, I am a little leary about installing one.
Will do. I wouldn't be afraid of any DEI Alarm/remote start kit--I had one on my Silverardo SS and on my '99 V10 Superduty... They worked great! The issue seams to be specific to the 6.0, but it looks like there are fixes.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Air Assault!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MPTonyT
I have installed many different brands. DEI is a good brand but i wouldn't shy away from any that have a reputable name like:

Audiovox (prestige, code)
DEI (Viper Clifford)
Compustar (arctic start)
Auto Page

I've been an audio/video/security installer for quite some time and this is just my opinion. The issues are normally with the Transponder bypasses and sometimes with the alarm... just just as anything else.... everything mass produced will have flaws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.