Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Viper 5501 Aux 1 High Idle

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  philip_rigden 
#1 ·
I am hoping someone can help me out here. I have a Viper 5501 remote starter and instead of a switch I would like to use the Aux 1 feature to activate the high idle. That way I can start the truck, let it run for a minute and then activate the high idle.

Can someone tell me how to do this? I assumed I hook wire 322 (light blue/yellow) on the truck to the Aux 1 (White/violet) wire on the remote starter. This is not working.

I can think of 3 possible issues here.

One is that the aux 1 wire is (-) 200mA output.

Two is that my remote says ""pulsed" when I press f then aux. It is a new install by Futureshop and the default is not supposed to be pulsed. Is there a way to fix this without going back to the shop?

Three is that I am a numpty when it comes to elec stuff and I am missing the boat on something.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
I wouldn't use the 30amp #1 aux switch for something this small... why are trying to wire in a "high idle" using the remote starter? You could just let the truck kick into it's own high idle, or you can just wire up the standard high idle everyone else does on switch #4, then leave it "on" so when the truck starts, it will kick into it's 1200rpm high idle. Though I'm not sure how good that would be kicking on right away on start up...

#3 ·
When I said "aux 1" I was meaning the aux 1 button on the remote starter not upfitter switches. My '03 doesnt have upfitters. It looks like a relay is the answer, as well as getting my remote start aux 1 changed from pulse to constant by futureshop. The relay itself didn't work so I will have to do some more playing around tomorrow night. Next step after that may be to get a toggle so I can control the high idle like everyone else as well as the RS. I am definately concerned about letting it kick up to 1200 right on startup in -5 to -20F!

Thanks

Phil

#4 ·
Can someone tell me how to do this? I assumed I hook wire 322 (light blue/yellow) on the truck to the Aux 1 (White/violet) wire on the remote starter. This is not working.

I can think of 3 possible issues here.

One is that the aux 1 wire is (-) 200mA output.
You have to use a relay. The alarms AUX 1 output is 200ma ground so you have to convert that to 12v+.

Standard Bosch type relay

85 Aux 1 (wht/vio)
86 12v constant
87 12v constant
30 322 (L.Blu/Yel)

then you will have to program the Aux 1 output. Default setting is Validity which means output only while holding the button down. You need to change that setting to option 2 (latched output) or option 3 (latched output / reset with ignition)

#8 ·
You'll also need to address the parking brake issue. High Idle mod will only work if parking brake is pressed. I did mine using my Viper RS. I bought a cheap DPDT relay from Radio Shack. I used one set of contacts to connect a +12V wire to the high idle wire. I then wired the other set of contacts in parallel with the parking brake wires. Now when I turn on my AUX 1 output, I get a +12V signal where I need it and my truck thinks the parking brake is depressed even when it's not. Works like a champ every time!

#9 ·
Thanks guys. I ended up taking it to the dealer so they could use the bitwriter and also to change a couple other things. My '03 doesnt have to have the parking brake applied, I was actually a bit surprised. Next step heated seats linked to RS...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.