Analog Guages or Single electronic Multiguage display - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Analog Guages or Single electronic Multiguage display

Are these electronic multiguage displays a good idea. I see that most people run individual guages for EGT's, etc., but wouldn't a multi display be more economical? The Ford tech hooked a laptop up to the OBD port and could monitor everything (engine oil temp, coolant temp, trans fluid temp, etc.). Wouldn't that be better than buying one guage for each parameter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2009, 04:00 PM

most people will say that the guages are better than a monitor because when you get guages you are putting new sending units/probes in and the monitors run off factory sending units
personally i run a bullydog outlook monitor and i like it. i might buy guages eventually but only because i like the look of a 4 guage pillar pod
Old 12-19-2009, 04:02 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
I have analog guages in my truck and I have the edge insight all in one digital unit, as for temp differences, I only see about 2-3* between analog an digital. When ford brings your truck in and they data log it, all of the temps are read off the OBDII port, the same place the Edge Insight uses.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:00 PM

Go with the insight...you love it...you also love the simplicity of hook up, cost over multiple analogue gauges and PID alerts that you won't get with analogue (with the exception of the high end models)..
Old 12-20-2009, 05:18 AM

What's a PID alert? Also what does the edge monitor? I know it does EGT with a probe (Doesn't It?) but what else?
Old 12-20-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandini View Post
What's a PID alert? Also what does the edge monitor? I know it does EGT with a probe (Doesn't It?) but what else?
PID=Parameter ID. For example you can get a visual alert when you exceed prest EGT temps, Tranny temps, etc...

Edge monitors most everything you would want with the exception of Fuel and Oil pressure (although the '08+ does offer fuel pressure)...this is all due to the Insight reading data from all your PCM electronic sensors throughout the truck.

The EGT gauge ability is only possible with Edge's optional EGT probe that must be drilled and tapped in your drivers side exhaust manifold IOT get the best reading.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:45 AM

I would like to be able to monitor the oil and fuel pressure, fuel pressure mainly since I have an OEM oil pressure guage. Parameters I'm really interested in monitoring are EGT's, Trans temp, Oil temp, Coolant Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure, and I've seen where some will monitor your economy to help you maintain driving habits that give the best fuel economy. I guess a data logging feature wouldn't hurt to have to bring that info to a mechanic in the event of a problem. My thinking at this point anyway.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandini View Post
I would like to be able to monitor the oil and fuel pressure, fuel pressure mainly since I have an OEM oil pressure guage. Parameters I'm really interested in monitoring are EGT's, Trans temp, Oil temp, Coolant Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure, and I've seen where some will monitor your economy to help you maintain driving habits that give the best fuel economy. I guess a data logging feature wouldn't hurt to have to bring that info to a mechanic in the event of a problem. My thinking at this point anyway.
You can data log with the Insight. You also could always add separate analogue guages for fuel/oil pressures.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:25 AM

What about some of the other electronic multi guages? Do any of them do the same thing as the insight plus the other things like economy monitor, fuel and oil pressure, etc.? Does the insight have an economy monitor feature?
Old 12-20-2009, 08:45 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
Any gauge that uses the OBDII port will not read fuel or oil pressure its not available in the PIDS off that port those two gauges will require additional analog gauges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.