Remote Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 04:44 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Remote Start

Wondering if anybody have some suggestions for a remote start for my 07 F 350, there was one installed when i got it but never got a remote and cant find any brand on the box or any number to get a replacement remote. So i guess i will just have a new one installed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2009, 05:01 PM

I've got a Viper 5900 two way. After some playing around with the settings, it has been great. I can't speak for your '07, but my '05 needed some additional electronics to get it to work properly. I needed a tach generator from Ford and a thing for the door pins (don't recall PN from Directed, can get if you need). Might check Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers for info about additonal stuff you might need. Again, can't speak for the '07, but I did the high idle mod on mine to prevent wet stacking.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

fastbee,
how long of a delay before it starts? my 05 PSD has a oem remote start and it takes 40 seconds (Even with warm engine) before it starts. Its kinda frustrating cause i can walk the parking lot, get in and start it before it starts on its own...i looked into it and the timer is not adjust or able to start when GP light goes out.....thanks
Old 12-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have an 07 F250 that came with a prestige (audiovox) remote starter. No problem with it at all. you can even set it to run for a cool down time. If you want the model number PM me and I will post it.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:00 PM

Viper 5901 is the one I'm looking at. But almost any decent remote start will let you adjust the "wait to start" time and also will have an adjustable turbo timer.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:09 PM

looking at alot of the the a/m (aftermarket) r/s (remote starters) i have seen, the shortest time to start is 15 seconds...even on a bone cold motor my GP (Glow Plug) light goes out in 5-7 seconds. I have not been able to find an a/m r/s that has a setting that starts when the GP light goes out. Does anybody know of one?
Old 12-12-2009, 09:25 PM

OP: You may take your truck to a stereo shop in your area and they may be able to help you with a remote (universal type) or at least point you toward a manufacturer.

I am wanting to install a remote start/alarm combo and I am REALLY REALLY looking into the new Viper Smart Start setup. Only problem is after the first year it is $30 a year. The reason you pay is your truck has a cellular receiver in it and you download an iPhone app and anywhere I (and the truck) have cell signal, I can lock, unlock, and start the ruck. It is a pretty sweet setup. Either way, I will probably be going with a Viper.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:33 AM
Emergency Services

The Viper 5901, Python 991, and the Clifford 50.7x are *exactly* the same product, and they all work very well.

I had a Python 991 installed on my girlfriend's truck. It was able to use the factory tach wire without a problem. The wait to start time doesn't link to the 'wait to start' light on a 6.0l because the computer doesn't always run the wait to start light (little orange squiggely line on the dash). It always dings, but it doesn't always run the light. On a 7.3l, it would work just fine, because it doesn't matter how hot the engine is, the light, at least, will come on when you key the ignition on.

The factory setting for a 991, 5901, 0r 50.7x is either 15 seconds, 30 sec, or 1 minute or something ridiculous like that. Obviously 15 seconds is a lot better. More than you need. I found it to be too long still. The alarm place that I got mine from changed it with a device they call a "Bit Writer". It's a hand held device for changing alarm parameters. It plugs into the alarm box, and uses a menu-driven interface to change things in the alarm. It has a lot more control over the alarm than pressing the remote buttons in a sequence to change the settings on the alarm. They changed mine to 10 seconds.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:25 AM

I set mine for 15 sec. The 5900 has an input for glow plugs, but the 6.0L uses data bus signals for the wait to start like it does for the tach. The glow plug relay is in the passenger kick panel, it supplies a +12V signal when the glow plugs are on, but you need a relay to make it a negative input that the alarm can use. Much easier to just wait 15 seconds, besides, even on a warm day you'll only lose about 10 seconds so it's not a huge deal.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:06 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i had a astro start installed about a year ago, with the north dakota winters(and now the montana winter) it works amazing..nothin like wakin up in the morning turning over and pressing the button to turn her on..way better than gettin in your sweats and going out in -10 degree weather and waiting for the glow plugs while you freeze your *** off..

but enought with the bs, i absolutly love my astro start..i havent had alot of experience with any of the other ones..but if i remember right my old roomate had a viper and the distance wasnt really the best on it..i have the AstroStart RSS-5224 and it is amazing, i have it set up for 15 second start delay, you can have it set up for a turbo cool down, alarms, its two way so it tells you if it started or didnt start, can tell you if and where the break in happened as far as theft..and teh best part of it is the distance, i can be walking out of class hit the button and it will start (have in mind my truck is a good 200 yards away, just a rough guestimate..that includes having buildings in my way..

i dont want to bash viper but if i remember right the distance my buddy had wasnt near what i have..

heres another good one, so my buddy was driving me home and we got off the off ramp and went over the interstate i hti my button(truck was about a mile maybe more from where we were) it was a straight shot, no trees, buildings or anything..but the damn thing started right away it was amazing, i couldnt even see my truck it was so far away..but anyway i am SOOO happy with the astro start , and i would recommend it to anyone..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.