Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Compass Module Location

12K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  FLRanch 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT:
I have done a lot of research and discovered that on a 2004 there is no module behind the mirror. My next question is:

On the 2004, does anyone know where the compass module is?

First, I want to say, I am working on a 2004 SD, Crew Cab, 4 X 4. So often people leave out the year they are working on and that does not help many.

Everything works on the truck, except the compass. I have tried to calibrate it time after time, with no results. I have no problem setting the zone (4). And, I have no problem getting it in to "CAL" mode.

But, my real question is: On the "04", is there a module behind the rear view mirror, like I keep hearing the later years have. I have no module, as I have seen in pictures, of a module that clips to the back of the mirror.

If there is supposed to be a module there, on the 04, outstanding. I know why my compass will not calibrate. If it is not there, and is located somewhere else, does anybody know where that is?

It took quite a while to get the damn outside temp working. A broken wire. I had hoped that would fix the compass too. But it did not.

And yes, I have had the circuit board down and resoldered all that.

Resoldering the circuit board seems to be a challenge for a lot of people to get an iron in the small places. What I did was pound the solder, with a hammer, until it was paper thin. I took scissors and cut a few small rectangles pieces out of it. I dabbed some flux on the connections that needed solder, set the solder pieces in place, set the resistor in place, and used a heat gun. Typical 60/40 solder melts at about 260* +/_ , which will not effect the circuit board at all.
By the way, make the pieces of solder just big enough that when you put the resistor back down, it will hold the solder in place. If you don't, you might find yourself looking for a very small piece of solder on the ground. Not that I did that........
Before you turn the heat gun on it is best to get a small screwdriver, or something similar to hold the resister down until the solder melts. They can fly away too......

Now where the hell is the compass module on an 04.

Thanks,

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Do have the over head display like this one?

Isnt it inside. Mine on the 06 is behind the mirror.

#6 ·
That's where mine is located.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

Now there is some confusion. The few 2004 owners I talked all told me that they did not have a module like your pictures in their trucks either.

So, I guess it is back to square one and try to find the wiring where the module used to be. If I can find the wiring, this should be easy. I know that in 2005 the modules look exactly like the ones in the pictures. Sometimes things change from year to year and now know that both of you have 2004's with module behind the mirror, it is a good starting poing.

Thanks again for the input. That is why at the beginning of my OP I commented on people not putting the year of their trucks. You cannot teach common sense to people.

#8 ·
I think Rob and I know I have the 06 trucks but have been around trucks of all years for a while

but if your N E S W display is in the dash cluster then I have not heard of another location for the actual compass signal

other than if you have the overhead display cluster then it is inside that unit IIRC

but stay tuned someone with an actual 04 or wire diagram for a 04 may chime in

the pig tail for the module on the review type is tied to the rearview plug so if someone ditched the module ( sometimes they fall and become annoying ) you should find the pigtail off of the rearview wire it may be tucked into the headliner

#9 ·
I have an 04 and I do not have module behind my mirror.

#10 ·
Console

My overhead console is where everything is.

Do you know what years you could get the compass in dash?
I have not been aware of it being in the dash on the earlier vehicles.

I know 04 did not have the mirror sensor.
I was hoping an 04 owner would chime in. That is why I put the year in the title. I know in 05 they started putting the module behind the mirror. Trust me, I know quite a bit about these trucks too.

For me, I do not have time to worry about a bunch of maybes. This forum is not a social thing for me like it is a lot of people who have nothing better to do. I always have something better to do than be here.

People have been great here. I belong to other forums that revolve around building other kinds of vehicles. Those vehicles need a lot of detailed information and the people are very used to giving years, models, option, and modifications. None of them want to waste anybody else time by answering questions that were not asked, nor do most of them have the time to waste.

I find here there are a ton of threads without the year, a lot of people chiming in when it is really not much help. All this just wastes the time of people trying to get their truck right so they can go do something else.

I am trying to get mine in good order to take to Mexico for Baja. We will be towing a car, so I would feel better if I know everything is in good order.

The nice thing is, everybody really is trying to help. Sometimes I may leave too much detail in my threads because that is what I am used to doing and that is what is expected elsewhere.

My truck is to the point that the only thing not working is the compass. I like everything to work, but this is one I can live without.

Thanks for the thought of help.

Take care,

#12 ·
For someone who doesn't view this forum as a social thing, you sure spent a lot of time on that rant, but then again, I have nothing better to do than read it, so I guess my help isn't needed. I have an '04 CCSB with a working compass in the overhead display. Your question has been answered a couple of times already. Maybe not with the vigor you seem to need, but answered nonetheless. If you don't have time for "maybes", take it to your local Ford dealer, I'm sure they'll get it fixed much quicker.

#14 ·
Well said...

Reactions: G8orFord and ZMANN
#16 ·
Pretty much the same. Had pizza. It's a little rainy here today so not getting a while lot done. How's the weather there?

Now I'm going to sit back and see how many "Likes" I can get for my cat pictures.

Edit: That would be a much better post if I actually had any cat pictures.

#18 ·
I'll contribute to the useless banter......my truck (unknown year) has a compass in the overhead console and no module on the mirror.

Op, there are much better ways of getting information than attack and ridicule towards the people that are trying to help you.

#19 ·
'04 compass is built into the overhead console display module FWIW. Peanut butter samich for lunch today with Cheetos (crunchy, not those poofy ones)

Reactions: mhatlen
#21 ·
I needed one more post to get past the 30 post brick wall

Reactions: ZMANN
#23 ·
This was pretty funny to read. What a PUTZ

Bye Bye

Reactions: ZMANN
#24 ·
All the guy asked is where is the compass module. I read this twice. He NEVER got a great answer. I think his frustration was justified. Answer: If you don't have a compass module attached to your rear view mirror for 2004 ford. The compass module is ALWAYS in the computer board as a component of that board. IF...that is not correct then where the hell is it? I asked the same question. NOBODY I can find, has ever answered it by showing with a video which tiny component on the circuit board runs the compass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.