Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Alternator issue maybe??

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jme__gt 
#1 ·
little bit info
2007 ps 6.0 230k km on it, studded deleted

I been monitoring my truck for about two years now and everything was good and temps and such are in specs no issues until last Monday. I noticed my voltage gauge shows 12.8 at idle and when i drive goes to around 13.5 or so, when before i used to get 13.5 at idle and 14.0+ when i drive.. thought no big deal alternator dying. Got buddy to drop me off alternator, and again same thing, nothing changed...
Took out my batteries load test them individually, both passed with no problems.. checked allll my connections, cleaned all of them made sure everything is tight no problem. put everything back together and still same issue..
Next i took new cable and made it go from alternator to battery, at that point voltage seems to go up to 13.5 at idle and like 15 when i drive...
harness looks nice and and intact and no rims or broken wires.. no idea what is going on and maybe me just being crazy
SO this is where i am stumped and not sure what to do.. or what to check next.. any advice?

#2 ·
Based on what you've posted, I would google search the "big 3 wire upgrade" and replace/check/add grounds.

I would also remove and sand ground locations, as well as check the connector on the back of the alternator.

After all that I would monitor FICM V's and take anything over 12 at the batt as normal.

#4 ·
04 f350
I am having weird power issues also.. just had heads turbo oil cooler starter done in dec.. weeks later no start.. turns over fast.. send back to shop.. they say alt issue.. replace it... 2 weeks later same thing replace alt.. maybe bad.. alt.. no big deal... another 1 week heater motor burns out... -25 go figure.. replace that... dies again... take to ford... not charging replace batteries.. new alt again.. seems good .. 50 km later no juice.... charge batteries.. take back to ford.. can't find issue.. get it back... same fn thing..

now get this the only light that comes is the abs light.. nothing else comes on.. radio cuts out then dash shuts down and then shuts down..

replaced the plug at alt all wires cont test good..

last tie it happened .. abs light... then radio shuts off dash shuts down then get to parking lot.. just before it dies backing into parking stall for boost from friend .. the cluster kicks in and out.. then stays on lights come back on runs fine for 15 mins shut it down.. start back up 90 mins later.. runs good start to drive home.. same thing.. drove to dies on hiway.. boost for 20 mins.. start truck.. start driving,, then abs lih=ght etc.. pull into ally hitting bumps.. all dash lights up.. runs good for 30 mins.. charging the whole works.. start next morning it is cold..minus 20 starts riht up.. 2 mins later dash shuts off .. shut it down charge batteries.. drive to ford... it is charging fine they have ripped the dash apart removed grounds re did all connections.. now they think maybe cluster issue or fuse box.. just guessing but those are 800 parts and not returnable if not issue,,, any suggestions?

#5 ·
Yikes....... have you checked the fuseable links?

I think I would be pulling each and every cable off and testing ohm resistance and looking inside the mounting lugs for corrosion. You can always add grounds and upgrade the cables. I added additional grounds all over my truck and on both batteries from ground lug to chassis engine and body. I even installed 2/0 cables from transmission to frame and engine to frame underneath it.

Last thing I would look at is the ECM plugs under driver side battery cover. Pull them loose and inspect and clean.

Hope you figure it out, look for chaffing in all the cables on the D/S front fender.

#6 ·
go big or burn up a ficm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: JesseKK
#7 ·
^ nice!! Post pics installed!

#8 ·
Will do tomorrow! Had a video but it won't let me upload it. So far is a awesome piece but the belt is a bit harder to get on now

Reactions: Miceleb
#9 ·

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.