Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Electrical issue.

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  scparrish 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 f250 lariat 6.0, truck is studded, deleted, SCT tuned, straight piped, 211k
Inside I have a kenwood double din, alpine sub, and a amp.
It all started a couple of months ago, I noticed my lights for my speed 60-100 went out, no big deal I thought. I don't go over 60 that often for it to be a big issue.
About a month or two later, my heater controls stopped working. Googled it someone on here said to turn the headlights off of auto, on to manual. Worked and fixed that.
Next all of the lights on my speedometer went out.
Tonight I was heading home on a straight flat road around 45 MPH, radio shut off, gauges went dead, but all of my dash lights stayed on, and my headlights stayed on. Any help would be appreciated I loved my truck, but this is seriously puzzling me. Thanks.

#9 ·
I am having weird power issues also.. just had heads turbo oil cooler starter done in dec.. weeks later no start.. turns over fast.. send back to shop.. they say alt issue.. replace it... 2 weeks later same thing replace alt.. maybe bad.. alt.. no big deal... another 1 week heater motor burns out... -25 go figure.. replace that... dies again... take to ford... not charging replace batteries.. new alt again.. seems good .. 50 km later no juice.... charge batteries.. take back to ford.. can't find issue.. get it back... same fn thing..

now get this the only light that comes is the abs light.. nothing else comes on.. radio cuts out then dash shuts down and then shuts down..

replaced the plug at alt all wires cont test good..

last tie it happened .. abs light... then radio shuts off dash shuts down then get to parking lot.. just before it dies backing into parking stall for boost from friend .. the cluster kicks in and out.. then stays on lights come back on runs fine for 15 mins shut it down.. start back up 90 mins later.. runs good start to drive home.. same thing.. drove to dies on hiway.. boost for 20 mins.. start truck.. start driving,, then abs lih=ght etc.. pull into ally hitting bumps.. all dash lights up.. runs good for 30 mins.. charging the whole works.. start next morning it is cold..minus 20 starts riht up.. 2 mins later dash shuts off .. shut it down charge batteries.. drive to ford... it is charging fine they have ripped the dash apart removed grounds re did all connections.. now they think maybe cluster issue or fuse box.. just guessing but those are 800 parts and not returnable if not issue,,, any suggestions?

#10 ·
I have an 07 F250 that does the same thing. When it first happened i was driving about 70 and my gauges shut off along with radio. It has since got worse. Now when it happens my controls for my power windows dont work, power locks dont work and occasionally my headlights will shut off while driving (sucks A$$ when driving at night). I have since replaced my instrument cluster ($600) along with a central control junction box (havent received a bill yet) And my truck still is still doing it. My dad contacted one of his old Ford instructor for help and he says to check all electrical connections and put dielectric grease in them. If you have any aftermarket LED headligts/tail lights change back to orginal due to some of the aftermarket parts are not designed properly. Some days it wont act up at all other days it will shut off and on 100 times while driving and others it will shut off and stay off till i re start the truck.
Good Luck. If I happen to come up with a solution I will post it here as well.

#12 ·
Its actually a very common issue - I'm surprised non one has mentioned it yet. It's your instrument cluster. It also controls power to radio, windows, etc. Usually circuitboardmedics.com reply to these sort of posts but they must have missed it.
Check out the following link - they give a description of what cluster problems cause, see if that is what yours is doing.
https://circuitboardmedics.com/ford-superduty-instrument-cluster-repair/

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Reactions: scparrish
#14 ·
Gauge cluster man..same thing happened to my brother. We had it done for under $200 including the case of beer

#15 ·
Yep what these guys have already said, the gauge cluster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.