Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Question about Proper use of a Battery Charger

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Jake 
#1 ·
To use a battery charger/maintainer do I need to disconnect the batteries from the truck to avoid damaging any of the elecronics or electrical componants on the truck or is it safe just to hook it up and plug it in? I can't find anything in the truck manual about this.

#4 ·
:( Not what I wanted to hear. Let my ask why that's the case. Is it any different from jump starting? :dunno:

#3 ·
I have never disconnected a battery just to charge it, and have never had any issues either.

#5 ·
I have always heard its best to disconnect them but I guess it really doesnt matter
:( Not what I wanted to hear. Let my ask why that's the case. Is it any different from jump starting? :dunno:
You will be fine either way. I have just always disconnect the batteries and charged them in my shed. Just a habit I guess.

#8 ·
I was hoping an electronics guru would chime in. I've heard a lot of different things over the years, a lot of which is conflicting. Maybe a Ford Tech that is strong in the electrical/electronics area could help us answer this question. :icon_ford:

#9 ·
Im no guru or tech, but ive charged countless batteries without unhookin em and never once had any issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.