Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Alternator confusion

866 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  SKUVKRAM 
#1 ·
I've been looking at alternators on ebay, wanting to upgrade to a higher output unit at some point. It's a little confusing the way they're listed to know what they might fit. Some say fits '04 - '07, some '03 - '06, some are just F450 and F550 only. Can someone clear this up for me? Do not all years of 6.0L have the same mount?

#3 ·
I'd like to try and source one in Canada or it might be too $$$.

#5 ·
I agree with Heavy_GD.....ESPECIALLY stay away from PowerMax USA.....

I thought I was doing my truck a favor purchasing one of their "250 amp" upgrades.....well...exactly 1 year and 4 months later I was having charging issues. 1 battery died (thankfully I bought the Napa Legend 3 year full replacement). After I replaced the battery I went to run the truck and to my unfortunate amazement after a few minutes, I started to have THICK smoke come through my vents (I had the heater on).

I looked up to my open hood...next thing I knew, my alternator looked like it was going to burst into flames. I shut that mother down and let it cool.....

End result.....melted F***ing aluminum on my manifold and burnt wire insulation (that to this day still haunts my vents when the heat goes on)

I ended up going to Autozone and getting a new Duralast Gold with lifetime replacement and it's working as it should, even at Idle.

So like we said....just be careful with EBay.....don't forget.....an alternator should last a lifetime....these trucks last 3 sometimes 4 times the norm. So better to invest the extra money on "real" instead of shmeal.

END RANT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JesseKK
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.