Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Anyone have a system with the rear captain chairs?

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Mike's Lariat 
#1 ·
Looking into doing a nice setup for the new truck, it has the rear captain chairs in the back so its going to be a little tricky.

Old extended cab 7.3 had a RF P1000x5 with a single 10" RF P2 (probably 5 years old now) that sat on the floor in a sealed box and sounded okay but im looking for the next step up. (sold this setup, still deciding on the amp I want for the new setup)

I know the JL audio stealth boxes but I think $600 can be made to go farther than a single 10 with a fancy box. When I am ready to build I will gut the interior and Roadkill (same as dynamat extreme) the entire floor, rear wall, firewall, and doors. At this time I will remove the floor tray behind the rear seats and the rear wall panel giving me some more room. Until thats all out of there I dont know how much room I have to work with.

If I could fit 2 10's (T1D410) or 2 shallow 13.5's (13TW5v2-4) in the back and hidden I would be stoked, idea being build a fake wall behind the seats so you didnt know they were there.

Anyone know of a build with the rear captain chairs to bounce off of?

#2 ·
I can't answer your question directly, as I don't have the captain's chairs, but I had the JL Stealthbox made for the rear bench, which came with the 13tw5. It sounded pretty good, but just not near enough output for my taste. Two would be better, especially if you had at least 1000 watts, but it's going to be tight trying to get them enough air space. Are you willing to ditch the rear center console? Are you willing to extend it up to the front console, effectively taking away the middle of your rear floorboard?

I actually ended up ditching my front center console/jump seat and designed and installed a custom center console enclosure to hold two JL W7s. I didn't need the seat, and the console was loose and noisy, anyway. The sub box looks great and makes for a killer armrest, but I did have to give up the extra storage.

Anyway, my advice would be to really think through the enclosure size and design, and make sure you build it to the specs for the subs you'll be using. So many people just throw any subs into any box that will fit behind or under the seat, and while they may think it sounds great, they are likely a long way from what it could and should sound like if matched up properly.

Good luck!

#4 ·
#5 · (Edited)
A buddy of mine used 2 10" truck boxes on his. I would think that they would hide behind captains chairs. Can you post a picture to let us see what they look like. I haven't seen a truck with rear captain seats yet. Never mind stolen truck had pictures. I would think that the 2 single boxes would hide if they fit. Was that a factory option? Or are rear captains custom?

#6 ·
It is a factory option that the king ranch and Harley editions had available. Took a few inaccurate pics to give an idea of the room available. Until I pull the chairs to start the sound deadening install I won't really know what kind of room I have available. The rear wall panel has quite a few contours to hide the power rear window actuator so it's difficult to tell. Also the plastic floor tray the orange straps are in will be removed. Just to get any equipment back there the seats have to come out, the recline only lets them tilt forward 4 inches (really a waste of a "feature"). In the end it will be a good thing, if anyone breaks in the will have to take out the seats to get the system out. The seats bolt in like the fronts and have no room underneath or movement other than the 4" back adjustment.

16" wide between the seats

My best guess the room between the back wall to the rear of the console will be maximum 9" if I stick between the 16" gap between the seats. We will see when the back wall is out and how much room the actuator takes

After the tray and wall are out I will have a maximum depth of 7" at the base if I am able to get the enclosure behind the seats, and it will taper up until the seats contact the wall.

And a guesstimate on the height.

I just thought of possibly moving the seats forward about an inch or two, takes away a little leg room but adds more recline and room to put a system. I will take another look at it when I get home

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.