5R110 slip into neutral on WOT - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 09:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5R110 slip into neutral on WOT

Just finished my engine build with mods in signature. I've had the transmission shift into neutral on the 3-5 shift (could be 5-6, not sure) during WOT. I believe the tires are almost always up in smoke when it happens. Usually I have to put it back in neutral then back to drive to get the transmission to catch a gear and go again. During heavy towing (26,000 GVW) and aggressive street driving, the transmission seems to hold fine. Have had a few random hiccups (upshift, downshift) while I was abusing it but nothing to major. Trans has 163000 miles on it with no work ever have been done to it. Any suggestions or insights are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 03:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Time for a new/reman trans. I would suggest an RMP trans from Ford. 3 yr unlimited mileage warranty. Unless of course you plan to build it up.
I only say this because my truck started doing the same thing. No codes, popping into neutral, upshift/downshift at odd times and the final straw was getting stuck in 3rd or 5th gear. During the course of all this, I put a line pressure control solenoid in. It was better for a week after clearing the KAM. Then it completely started acting up....got worse and worse.
Also, I noticed while running stock, that the first to second shift was very harsh. And also shifting into reverse. All others ok.
I removed the external trans filter and what I found was a TON of metal shavings from small to pretty large. I popped a new trans in and it's been smooth since. New trans from Ford comes with a revised larger cooler that needs to be replaced and I replaced the external filter housing and all lines by the radiator. The hard lines I flushed. Also, it comes filled with LV .... No more SP fluid.
All total I spent 2800$.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Old 02-12-2014, 05:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Good to hear you've been having some fun with the truck. I had a similar problem and was scared the tranny would need replacing. I believe this issue goes with the 3-5 shift flare and happens to different trucks for different reasons. MAybe the tranny is worn or maybe just a bad tune or a confused transmission computer. You can try bumping up pressures on the SCT but I didn't have much luck with that. I did have great results with having my tune written to shift at 3800 rpm on that shift vs 4000 rpm. Check out the relearn process too, that seams to fix tranny issues sometimes too.

Also heard a member solved a similar issue by changing the speed sensor on top of the rear axle. Good luck and keep us posted. I think you still have some good times left with that tranny.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.