YIKES! That's Tight! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
YIKES! That's Tight!

Well, I just drained the pan and replaced with a Derale cooling pan. Planed on changing filters, and after completing the internal turned my attention to the external filter housing. Could not loosen it with 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 ratchets or breaker bars. Tried the 'ol strap wrench. NADA. Managed to turn the whole assembly, but could not access the filter. What do they use on these things..." impacts? Sprayed the top of the housing with some penetrating oil, but no joy. Any ideas...that don't require a blasting license...to get that sucker loose with out damage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 03:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I haven't changed mine for the same reason.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:59 AM

Read somewhere on here the impact gun does the trick to take it off. Supposedly does less damage than the torque of long wrenches ect.
Same with putting it back on. But they reccommended it be someone familier with their gun to stop at the 1st/2nd ratchet of the gun.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:26 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the replies!
I stopped when the bracket and assembly started to bend with the torque. An impact seems to be the way to go...wasn't on my Christmas list, but I would feel better changing all the filters, not just the internal. What brand/ size impact wrench do y'all recommend?
Old 12-21-2013, 06:33 AM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^^^Yep, impact with a 22mm to take it off.....I wouldn't use it to put it back on though ...it's just cast aluminum....just hand tight and then a good snug.

Can't go wrong with most impact guns for around the home occasional use. I have a Chicago Pnuematic 1" gun, a BluePoint 3/4", 1/2" and 3/8"", but my favorite is my Snap-On 18V Electric 1/2" drive. Unless you're working in a shop all the time, a good quality 3/8" impact will do 99% of what you're probably wanting to do with it. If you think you'll want to use it down the road for some bigger stuff (leaf springs, lots of tires, etc.) then go for the 1/2" drive.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:42 AM
Premium Member

Thanks, Nighthawk
Snap-On and Blue Point may be a little over kill for my budget right now, though I usually don't skimp on tool purchases. I'll try to find a decent 1/2" impact, probably air powered, and between that and my 3/8" ratchet should tackle most things on this beast.
Many thanks to this forum, which has gotten me over the fear of doing anything, besides washing it!
Old 12-21-2013, 06:44 AM

Yeah, the BluePoints were a garage sale find ($50 for all 3).....a Chicago Pneumatic would be a great starter gun for you! Or an Ingersoll Rand....both are pretty well priced and high quality.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:16 PM

Do not use an impact gun for thi..... what in the world lol... take a butane torch to it and heat it up. Will loosen right up
Old 12-22-2013, 07:33 PM

^^^IIRC Greg that's even what it says to do as Ford spec. for how to remove it, I could be wrong though...looking for the tech file now.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

I had not considered a torch...it would save me another expenditure this time of year, but hot flames near a vessel full of paper and tranny fluid seems a bit risky. I will look into the tech files, as well.
Thanks for all your replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.