Slipping in Forward and Reverse trouble - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 08:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Slipping in Forward and Reverse trouble

Wonder if anyone has experienced this.
Drove the wife to work this morning.
The turn off into town there was a lady stuck so I pulled over in the drifts and helped her out.
After putting in back in gear I had to get on it to get out of the drifts.
Snow was blowing over the windshield, and I imagine throughout the engine bay.
After that it felt like it stayed in 2/3rd gear.
I'd hit the pedal and it would redline and sort of accelerate jumping in and out of gears. So i slowed down to a stop. Accelerated slow and it was ok but when I got more on the pedal it would feel like it was slipping.
Once I got in the driveway, she idled for about 15 mins while I shoveled out my spot. Once putting in gear again I had to rev it up for it to move.
Also reverse, had to rev it up to move it.

Any feedback on this guys/gals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Premium Member

I thought I had a copy of this, but if it is a solenoid issue use this to help. Go to post 29 need transmission guru's help - Page 3 - TDG

As well, this is a very good thread for information: TorqShift Transmission - Information and Troubleshooting - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
an excerpt:
Originally posted by Bismic on FTE in 2009

Quote:
Not sure if this applies, but fyi -

The issue with the 04's involved replacement of the reverse planet assembly due to low/reverse gear set pinion shaft(s) that may walk out. Vehicles affected were built from 03/08/04 through 06/24/04.

Recall on 2004 TorqShifts:
Certain trucks built from 3-8-04 through 6-24-04 may experience a failure of the low/reverse planetary assembly. Specifically one or more of the planet gear pinion shafts may walk out of the carrier. If this occurs metallic contamination of the fluid will occur and will cause harsh or slipping shifts and/or harsh or delayed engagements in forward or reverse. Trucks affected by this recall will have the low reverse planetary replaced if no damage has occurred, or will have the transmission overhauled and repaired as needed, along with replacement of the transmission cooler, if damage has occurred. This recall has been extended until 3-31-06
Customer Satisfaction Program 04B24.
The Following User Says Thank You to twoicebergs For This Useful Post:
ATV PRO 11 (12-08-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 07:39 AM

Good Morning Frank.
I found Bismacs thread the other day when searching.
I'm going to replace the solenoid anyway. I went out that afternoon after it happend and it continued throwing the blinking Tow/Haul mode light at me. That's when I remembered in the summer I had the same issue.........Right after washing the truck in Birdshill. I did pull over, after a long warm up and very light on the right foot to get everything warmed good and restart the truck. It drove fine for the remainder of the hwy trip I needed to take with it. No problems.
I would assume, blasting through the snow after pulling the lady out with the powertrain hot and nailing the big drifts that the snow either shocked the module or water actually penitrated the device. Either way, it may or may not solve the problem but will answer the question wether it's the solenoid or actual transmission problems showing themselves. I also checked the build date of my girl, 02/04.

Thanks for the reply, again, appreciate it.
If there is every anything I can do to help you out, just let me know!!! I'm not cheap but i'm easy
Old 12-16-2013, 04:42 PM

Such a simple fix.

5R110 Torqshift problem resolved

I've been reading through posts for days with my issues. Posted a thread for help as well. This worked for me today. Post 1 did it. Shifting waaaaay better today with hwy and city driving. The more I drove the better it shifted.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Premium Member

So, all you did was clean the connector. Such a simple fix!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:48 AM

Yes, The connector on the top Drivers side. Had some ice around the connector and the little clip that keeps it locked in was broken. Didn't actually notice ice in it as I was laying under the truck but used zip ties until I can get a new pigtail wired in. It Still have code P1000 code but i'm sure that will go away with some more driving. Certainly helped it alot since. Just hope it's not a short term fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.