5r110w Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5r110w Problems

I was going down the road just minding my own business about 70 mph. My truck starts making a loud squealing noise. I pulled over at the next exit to investigate. What it was doing then was a ratcheting noise while coasting about 5 mph down to zero. Then started to long delay going into gear. At stop lights it would go into neutral or sometimes act like it was in 4th or something. I did manage to get the 70 miles home, on egg shells I might add. Sometimes it would slip some going down the road only if I leaned on it too hard. Like the converter was slipping. Only a 100 RPMs or so

Today I tore into the tranny and found that the low reverse clutch was completely smoked. I mean completely. The diode was fine. All of the rest of the transmission was in excellent condition.

I baby my truck and tow very little and then less than 10000 lbs. The fluid looked pretty good despite the catastrophe. The only thing leading up to this was a day or two of delayed shifts into 4th gear, I think. This was very subtle but I noticed it. The fluid was at the proper level.

What might be the cause? It is a 5R110W behind 6.0 2003.

I'm stuck and I am afraid to rebuild it even though I believe I am capable. I don't want to overlook a lube issue in the transmission.

Thanks,

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacres36 View Post
I was going down the road just minding my own business about 70 mph. My truck starts making a loud squealing noise. I pulled over at the next exit to investigate. What it was doing then was a ratcheting noise while coasting about 5 mph down to zero. Then started to long delay going into gear. At stop lights it would go into neutral or sometimes act like it was in 4th or something. I did manage to get the 70 miles home, on egg shells I might add. Sometimes it would slip some going down the road only if I leaned on it too hard. Like the converter was slipping. Only a 100 RPMs or so

Today I tore into the tranny and found that the low reverse clutch was completely smoked. I mean completely. The diode was fine. All of the rest of the transmission was in excellent condition.

I baby my truck and tow very little and then less than 10000 lbs. The fluid looked pretty good despite the catastrophe. The only thing leading up to this was a day or two of delayed shifts into 4th gear, I think. This was very subtle but I noticed it. The fluid was at the proper level.

What might be the cause? It is a 5R110W behind 6.0 2003.

I'm stuck and I am afraid to rebuild it even though I believe I am capable. I don't want to overlook a lube issue in the transmission.

Thanks,

Brian
Are you running a tuner or using a custom tune? Some tunes are known to be tranny killers.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm not using a tuner or any other power mods. I have owned the truck for about 20000 miles. It has 142000 now. It is completely stock.
I tend to wonder if someone has put some incorrect ATF in it at some time. It was bright red and new looking before this incident. Something must have made the low / reverse clutch try to grab. I am guessing.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.