Dreaded P2703 but only noticeable when cold - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dreaded P2703 but only noticeable when cold

When my '07 F250 is cold and I first take off i get the slipping between i guess 3rd and 4th but it is only for the first shift. As soon as it warms up it runs and acts fine. On my Insight i have the code p2703 but I can't clear it. One time I read code p0766 but it reset itself and hasn't shown back up. Again the only time it is noticeable is when it is cold and then only on the first time shifting. I have 130,xxx on it. I for some reason can't clear the p2703 code from the Insight.

My question is what are the chances that just replacing the direct solenoid and filter will fix the problem?? I talked to a transmission guy who says that just changing the solenoid wont help. I realize a tranny rebuild is in my future but I cant swing the 3,000 to 5,000 right now. Hoping a Flush, filter and solenoid change will buy me some time. Just wanting some real world experiences here.

Steve

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 08:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I guess I should add that the one time I got the 0766 code the tow/haul light came on and flashed but once I shut the truck off and restarted it the code went away and hasn't returned since, nor has the flashing tow/haul light. Again, once it warms up all is fine.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:31 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
P0766 is a SSPC-D Direct Clutch circuit failure in the OFF position - a symptom of which is no 6th gear.

P2703 is Direct Clutch failed in the ON of OFF position - a symptom of which is no 6th gear and/or no other gears (1-5)
Judging by this thread, I would try replacing the solenoid before dropping 3-5K. Situations are a bit different, but I think it would be worth a shot.
By the way, the "Mark Kovalsky" that replied in that thread is one of the engineers responsible for this transmission.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks NYC-F350,

Since posting this I also read a thread on another forum advising to just replace the solenoid and the amount of fluid drained too.

I spoke to a local transmission guy who is kinda a guru around here on these transmissions and of course I got the full story about upgrading and putting in the 4th gen planetary gears along with new clutches but I about fell over at the price. If I know I'll have to do it in a year or so thats one thing but damn.....I'm still saving money to get head studs!

Like they say ....you gotta pay to play
Old 06-19-2014, 06:24 PM

pls help this morning in looney tune truck shifted hard into 5th bucking three times then tow/haul light came on stopped truck and restarted blinking stopped got home shifting fine pulled code po766 and p2703 i know what they are i put my sct to street didnt do it again nor did the blinking come back on taking it to stealership cause in 6 days making a trip to portland which is 400 miles one way was it do to the hot tune or do i need new direct solenoid and will the one from dealership wrk if i dont use hot tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.