Should I replace my fluid if... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I replace my fluid if...

I have an 05 super duty with 200,000 miles. Transmission seems to be shifting fine no problems, but I have never change the transmission fluid or filters. My local shop tells me to just change the filters and not the fluid, because of the detergents in the new fluid it will cause the clutches to start slipping. Any truth to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Has the fluid ever been changed, or just not by you? If it has never been changed I would not recommend doing a flush. If I were you I would just change filters and drain the fluid from the pan(which you would have to do anyway in order to be able to change the internal pan filter) instead of replacing all of the fluid. From what I have learned, what causes slippage is when you flush a transmission that hasn't had fluid changed for a very long time. The problem with that is your trans gets used to the clutch material in the old fluid and when you replace the old fluid with new fluid you end up losing all of the clutch material that your trans is used to thus causing slippage. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here. When you just do a drain and refill you only drain about 8 or 9 quarts of fluid instead of the entire 18 that the system holds because some will be left in the torque converter. I just drained and refilled mine about 2 weeks ago with mercon sp and it shifts remarkably better. Like you I didn't know when the fluid was last changed because I got it with 124,000 miles on it. just my

Looks like I got way off track to your original question but I don't know about the detergents.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I went ahead pulled the pan off save the old fluid in a clean drain pan. The fluid was a little dark with no metal shavings in either filter. Now the delema, do I put the old fluid back in or 8 new quarts?
Old 07-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I don't think I've ever heard of that. I change my trans fluid and filters every 30k (I'm a little overdue, I'm at 93k) hopefully one of the guys who knows about these trans. will chime in here soon.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i would add the 8 new quarts the flushes break gunk loose because they come with cleaners they are forced through and then forced back out with new fluid and push the loose clutch materials out from in between the clutches that is loose and floating in there out. dropping the pan will not push that old clutch material out. or fill with cleaners that break loose all the gunk. just change the filters and go with it.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Premium Member

I'll throw in my 2cent experience. I was just at the dealer last week to do an inspection on a truck I bought. There were three shop techs there standing around so I just started to pick their brain a bit. I was asking them the reliability of the tranny in my 05 f250 and about a leak I saw between the trans pan and the engine pan. In conversation I asked them about what trans fluid to use (merc 5), at that point I asked them about doing a flush because I have heard bad things about it. The concensus among these three was that they have never heard or have seen anyone have an issue post flush. Now take that with a grain of salt, but that is the feed back they have given.

IMO I would add new fluid, I have never heard of putting old fluid back into the trans. I know that the darkness of the fluid and burn smell is due to the chemical composition changing due to heat and contaminates. When the fluid heats it loses some of its intended property. I would add fresh. Hope that helps.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

they suggested Merc V in a 5r so they are idiots IMHO

A hot flush as required for a 5r to get the cooler bypass open is nothing more than a machine that heats the fluid Merc sp/lv for a 5r and as it intercepts and discards the old fluid it injects new fluid at the same rate and pressure as the transmission would subject itself to anyway

the old dirty fluid holding grit and keeping the clutches engaged ? IDK
Old 07-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

ZMann, what do you suggest for the fluid type?

Regarding the fluid change, does one need to do a heated flush or can I just drop pan, filter change, refill to correct level (Knowing that this method doesn't remove all fluid.)
Old 07-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
it needs to be mercon sp or mercon lv for the 5r110
Old 07-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, I'm going against my judgement and change the filters and add 8 Quarts of mercon sp or the lv which ever my local ford dealership sales. I am also in the process of replacing my egr and oil cooler, so I'll let you all know how it turns out. Thanks alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.