just got 05 f250. what tuner for tranny upgrades? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
just got 05 f250. what tuner for tranny upgrades?

truck is 6.0 with torqshift 5speed. has diablo predator performance tune (100hp). truck only has 48,000 miles on it and I see on here that diablo isn't the greatest programmer. I also want to be able to change tranny shift points and pressure. so who is the best tuner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Serving Our Country!

SCT all the way. you can change defuel pressure, shift firmness, rpm shift range, pretty much any peramiter you want. look on classifieds and find a nice used unlocked sct sf3 model 3015 I picked one up for 250 shipped. plug it in to pc, download software and update it and run!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

p.s. get guages first to check health of your 6.0...

good points to check.
FICM voltage--- above above 46 volts.
Engine oil temp (eot)
Engine coolant temp ( ect) make sure eot/ ect are not more then 15 degrees apart. first before you buy a programmer.

and drive it around. also only use ford filters I guess they really are worth it. it sucks.

tons of ppl are going to tell you sct watch and see
Old 06-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

This is the best advice I have seen on here. Get the gauges and check the numbers. Also when was the truck last serviced? Coolant service is probably the most important next to an oil change. We all know what the Ford manual states but you are better to change the coolant every 25k miles max if it still has the Ford gold crap in it. A good flushing never hurt either as these motors are known to have a ton of crap in the coolant that plugs up the oil cooler. Then again flushing has also been known to cause a plugged up oil cooler. First thing I would do after checking the numbers is get the Bullet Proof Diesel treatment and then get you a good service for piece of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
p.s. get guages first to check health of your 6.0...

good points to check.
FICM voltage--- above above 46 volts.
Engine oil temp (eot)
Engine coolant temp ( ect) make sure eot/ ect are not more then 15 degrees apart. first before you buy a programmer.

and drive it around. also only use ford filters I guess they really are worth it. it sucks.

tons of ppl are going to tell you sct watch and see
Old 06-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

truck was serviced the day I bought it. last Tuesday. flushed radiator, new coolant. truck runs good with the diablo tuner but tranny just feels like it should be firmer. i'm an old school drag racer so i'm used to neck breaking shifts with the old tranny's. maybe i'm just to old and being paranoid. oh gauges are on the way.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonswrecking View Post
truck was serviced the day I bought it. last Tuesday. flushed radiator, new coolant. truck runs good with the diablo tuner but tranny just feels like it should be firmer. i'm an old school drag racer so i'm used to neck breaking shifts with the old tranny's. maybe i'm just to old and being paranoid. oh gauges are on the way.
Cool beans. My 05 shifts firm but not neck breaking. Still look into the Bullet Proof Diesel setup. It cost some coins but its worth if for piece of mind. ARP head studs should already be on the truck with a tuner, if not then you might want to look into that. Head gasket failure is pretty high on these trucks but almost always stems back to the coolant issue I was talking about. Lots of guys do a chemical flush to get all of the gold crap out and then switch over to a ELC coolant that is International or Cat approved. Not trying to make you paranoid, the 6.0 is not as bad as some make it out to be but preventative maintenance is the key for the long haul.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:24 PM

BTW to answer your original question SCT all the way. Don't even mess with Bully Dog. From what I have learned it leaves tell tale signs in your truck computer and does not reinstall the original computer program if you ever decide to switch it out or have the truck serviced.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for all the help guys
Old 06-06-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonswrecking View Post
thanks for all the help guys
No problem bro. Whatever your question may be I will try to point you in the right direction, if not then I know some guys on here who are way more experts than I ever will be
Old 06-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Serving Our Country!

I feel ya with being old school. the trans in the 6.0's are so smooth and electronically fancy... even when I upped the shift firmness the trans smoothed out after about 2 wks of driving it always learns when you drive/ reprogram with tunes. be weary of flushes its been known to clog good oil coolers so if you used a chemical flush you might have to replace the oil cooler or egr etc... glad you got a nice truck man I wish I had th smoothless of your front suspension but I like springs haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.