p0730 p2703??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
p0730 p2703???

so my trannies been acting up for a few months. i drained the fluid, changed both filters a couple months back. A couple days later i realized i misread the manual and put Mercon V in it. so i parked it and decided to have it flushed. the guy did the flush, test drove it seemed fine, so i picked it up. this was about a month ago. A couple days ago it started to shift funny, so today when i got to work i disconnected the batteries to let the tranny relearn.

driving home from work, on the ramp getting on the freeway, it shifted from 4th to 5th, big clunk/bang, then back to 4th with locked up TC. it stayed there and i drove it home. Checked DTC

P2703 Trans Friction Element D Apply Time Range/Ref

P0730 Incorrect gear ratio

I havent changed anything, so i dont understand P0730

And i dont know what P2703 means...

ive been thinking the trannie is toast and needs a rebuild. Am i correct??? thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 05:51 PM

Oh, I just remembered, when in backing up, it shutters...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Premium Member

The 7th item down on your signature is why, Edge Juice blah blah tranny eater! I've been there, used that POS, got the same codes, bought another transmission. When I drained my fluid, it was black and had chunks that looked like coffee grounds, that was what was left of my clutches. Make sure that it ou change your own transmission to blow the lines out BOTH ways to ensure there is no garbage in the lines. We took the fwd filter out and used that as a "collection point" to check our progress.

It's pretty much in it's final throes. My transmission's last "trick" was uncommanded TC unlock, RPM spike, then lock back up.

By the way, Edge only counts the shift EVENT not the GEAR. Long story short, these transmissions shift 1,2,3,5,6, TC lock. You will never see 4th and 5th used back to back because the ratios are 1.09:1 4th and 1:1 5th. The shifts are accomplished by using OD with the other gears. Think of it like an old C-6 and a Gear Vendors overdrive unit.
1st 1st______3.11
2nd 1stOD___2.20
3rd 2nd_____1.54
4th 2ndOD__1.09
5th 3rd_____1.00
6th 3rdOD___0.71

This is just the basics, but that's how it works, 4th gear is ONLY called "mystery gear" by those who don't know how the 5r110 really works.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:06 PM

I've learned a lot about the tuners and such. I'm going to take the edge off and sell it on eBay, that should cover the egt expansion for my insight. Then eventually get a sct with custom mileage tune and trans tune.

So my insight always says, 1-2-3-4-5. I always thought it was, 1-2-3-5-6. But got confused with the insight. I thought my truck was never going into 6th, so your explanation makes more sense, thanks.

And idea who has good pricing on trans? So far no matter what I do, local rebuild, order one online, it's coming up to around 5k with shipping. Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.