Bucking, jerking or shutter after TC lock up part throttle. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bucking, jerking or shutter after TC lock up part throttle.

Title says it all and this seems to be a common issue some of us are having and although there is a lot of talk about the symptoms and recomendations to solve them I've found no one who posted their sulution. Am i wrong? So here I go with where I am on my issues and what I'm about to try. Would like your input as to anything else I should do while there. Dont like spending money on things that aren't broke but hate having to go back to fix somthing else when you were right there even more.

Quick run down, March of 12 bought the 06 FX4 CC and noticed the bucking first morning day after purchase, returned to dealer and we came to a monetary agreement so I keep the truck. This winter it became much worse.

Symptoms have been discribed many times in these threads but heres my take. A jerking of the drive line felt right after TC lock up at part throttle more noticed when cold. Did it stock, tried SCT tune from MKM with trans the main abjective, pulled EGR, have ran every test a Pegisys diagnostic scanner will run. ie injectors, duty cycles, lock up, pressures and voltages. Only code ever read was P098 IAT S2 V high (I think). Replaced the sensor and noticed it started just a tad faster when hot. Flushed trans and changed both filters. Checked ujoints, pulled rear deferential cover and checked gear teeth and late one night boiled the hell out of the zeons in frustration. Just replaced those two by the way and wont be doing that again. ouch

All temps in Fahrenheit, all speeds MPH, UL = unloaded

UL When temps in the 20s I cant find any other way to get it to stop bucking but cover the trans cooler tank end of the radiator fins with plastic or card board. Trans temps then will get close to normal.

UL When temps below 40 and not pluged in no matter how much idle time its almost best discribed as violent (when this bad you can feel it a bit with out the TC locked up) and just depends on how or if you can get the trans temp up. I've become good at the plastic trick.

UL When pluged in on block warmer temps above 40 with 2-3 mins of ideal time and 1 1/2 miles to FM road from house where the TC locks up I experiance a slight bucking and last like that all day as long as you dont kill it. No plastic

UL When temp 50 to 60 and fluid temps normal driving 70 mph or less it will go away completly after fluids are warmed up.

When loaded 10,000 Lb at temps around 30 and working the truck there is some jerking but gos away after a few miles and when temps above 50 and working the truck never felt. A lot less time spent with the TC locked up though.

Anyway I called in a favor yesterday and had a classic car buddy of mine have a Trans shop owner call me. After the above run down he asked a couple of questions one being had i ever felt slipage, answer was no. Maybe a bit firm when easing into the throttle but never sliping, burnt smell was his second and answer was no. After informing me that more than once he has worked on one that had a new solenoid or three and it was the wiring harness in the pan that connects to the solenoids. He would not rule out the solenoids or valve body though with out inspection as he has seen issues with them also.

Any advise or questions before I replace the wiring harness to the solinoids and pressure swicths would be greatly appreciated? And can any one confirm the part number D16446 as the correct harness.

Last edited by KLT1969; 05-03-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Premium Member

It could be a trans solenoid, but usually problems like you describe are injector related.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Premium Member

Update. After one trip to trans shop which was $75 of told you so, thanks Twoiceberges, many hours of reading and a trip to the Ford House so a friend of a friend could get his friend there to run a multitude of test. The stiction issue was postponed with the use of Rev-eX and all I can say is it has made a believer out of me. Noticed improvement the next morning in the mid thirties, and the following morning in high thirties didnt feel it at all or sense. Never have been a medacin man believer but Im now a Rev-eX believer and already have the next two bottles on the shelf. Thanks to all who have taken the time to return to their own post and give updates on what worked and what didn't as you were the guides that helped me through this two year journey to become a very happy owner of a 6.0 who didn't drop big bucks to fix a very common issue.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:02 AM

Yea stiction caused me the same problem with bucking with the converter locked up
Old 02-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have had the exact same issue & I flushed the trans & replaced both filters last weekend. I will have to give this a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.