Thud when coming to stop or leaving in 1st gear - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 06:07 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thud when coming to stop or leaving in 1st gear

Hi there,

Got a 2005 F350 6.0 with the auto tranny in it, when I come to a stop at a set of lights etc you can really hear the trans go back down into first get like a thud/feel this also or when you pull away you can sometimes hear this also. It shifts fine does not slip etc WOT no problem and shifts great. It's just whe I come to a stop or go to move off again I get a thud.

Any ideas what this could be? I'm thinking it could be a prop issue or something along those lines but I have had a look and can't see anything that would cause any reason for concern. I flushed the rear end fluid and everything looked ok in there, I also put a new filter on the trans and flushed the fluid with new ford fluid. The level is perfect and there is no leaks.

Cheers Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 03:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would pull the drive line and remove the rubber boot and re-grease the splines. I would also check the carrier bearing and make sure the rubber around the bearing isn't coming apart. I had a Ranger that had the greased splines and it was popping when you'd stop and start so I pulled it out and re-greased them and the popping went away. I've had my drive line out in my truck and it's a heavy SOB.. Hopefully someone else will have some ideas.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Joe is right on when he says; "I would pull the drive line and remove the rubber boot and re-grease the splines."

I'm told that Ford has a bulletin that suggests the same fix.

My son developed a better fix.
He grinds a ring around the spline (not necessary but it allows the lube to distribute) and installs zerks on the shaft so it can be periodically, easily lubed.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:56 AM

I removed it and lubed it and all clunking has now gone away!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.