Puked Tranny fluid out vents? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Puked Tranny fluid out vents?

I had my transmission rebuilt with stage 1 red clutches. The converter was replaced, new fluid. The shift kit to prevent case lug issues whatever that is exactly was installed. It cost me 2097$ that isn't cheap. The guy that did it owns a business. Hes worked for ford, and has built transmissions for a long time. He did a good job. I drove it for about 3 months. It shifted flawlessly. No issues. I run the Xtreme Street tune. My truck is a 2005 as well. The 3 main solenoids that go bad were also replaced. The lines were blew out, cooler was blown out, and flushed.

During the 3 months I had to take it back to him because I was concerned. I raced a guy in it just messing around got to around 90 and let off. I got home and it had puked tranny fluid from the vents. I checked it religiously for a bit. It didn't do it again for a bit then got it to 90 again rolling into it to pass a few semis quickly. Again it vented some fluid out. Checked it was fine. This time I took it to him. He confirmed it was front the vent with a mirror. It was never enough to matter. He figured it was over full or had gotten hot. However I watched it and it never got hot. SCT tuner showed it around 121-150 depending on how I drove it. It did get up to 160 once or twice but that was it. So I went with that he over filled it, and it looked over filled just a tad. I was told it was okay to drive it. I didn't have any more issues with it puking fluid out.

Everything seemed fine for a few weeks. Till one day I was driving normally with a buddy of mine, and I stopped a light and it acted like it didn't wanna go anywhere without a lot of boost. As if it were still stuck in 4 gear. I was close to where I was going so I drove it and parked it. Shut it off went and ate. Came back out and started it up. I put it in reverse but it acted I had the brakes on. I boosted it and it acted like it came unstuck. I figured I had a caliper sticking.
I drove it home and on my way home the tow haul flashed and the engine light came on. Scanned it with a scanner and had a code for solenoid b stuck on, and another code that pointed to that same solenoid. Had it towed to the guy that built it. He replaced that solenoid. He told me he was able to re-use my tranny fluid as it was clear and free. So it saved me some money. I had a friend take me over to get it. Picked it up, left his house. About 8 miles into my drive my buddy who had stopped at a gas station caught back up to me and called to tell me my truck looked like it was on fire.
I pulled over. Fluid was all over the place under the truck. I checked it and I couldn't tell if it had fluid on it or not. I was mad. So I called him and told him what was going on. He acted as if it would be okay and to get back to him. So I jumped in and started it. Since it wasn't acting bad at the time I pulled over I figured it was still good that it had just puked some fluid like before. When I tried to move the selector out of park, I had a time getting it to move. When I finally did it wouldn't hardly pull itself. I ended up getting my buddy with a trailer there and we managed to get it on the trailer, and towed it back to his shop. He called me the next day and told me the clutches were burnt up. He said he'd warranty it and it wouldn't cost me another dime. So I told him thats fine. He called me back the next day and told me he didn't think that tranny was worth a crap. He said the heat in it warped everything. He thought he could make it work but didn't know. He took it for a drive, parked it. Went back out and tried to move it, and it wouldn't go into move in reverse or drive at all.

My question after all this is do these trucks have a valve body? Hes replaced all the internal parts with the exception of the front pump which he says could be warped and sticking causing the problem? Can I find a new case and put my good parts in it? Is there a place to get just a case? I am already out 2500 bucks and can't even drive my truck. He acted as if it was my fault it over heated. My guess is something was wrong all alone? What would cause it to blow fluid out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Premium Member

First, you need to understand that running extreme tunes up to 90mph is hard on parts and leads to the assumption that you are very hard on your truck.

However, the 5R110 is a stout transmission, and in good condition should take the abuse with a please and thank you. Why did you need to rebuild the transmission the first time? This could clue us to why you have your current problem.

I would personally look to get back as much money from this shop as possible and purchase a quality 5R110 from a reputable place. It sounds like this technician might not be as fluent with the newer electronic transmissions as he has led you to believe.

Oh, and the trans does have a valve body... but it is less of a "complex fluid circuit" like the old vacuum/throttle position C4s and more of a housing for the solenoids.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the transmission rebuilt because shortly after I got the truck with 155k miles on it. It was used to pull most of its life and I'd assume that is part of the reason it went out. I am not no newbi on the 6.0 and 90 MPH on Xtreme Street is not that bad. As I stated before this guy has built tons of the trannies. I see them in there all the time. He built my buddies 03 6.0's and he never had any issues like this.

What I was thinking is maybe the added shift kit increased pressure and it was to much? It never shifted what I would call real hard? It always shifted firm with this tune. It is a custom tune from Innovative. Prior to my transmission going out the first time I had ran the Spartan Free Tunes on it. The hybrid race tune. It was a pretty cool tune but shifting was no where near as good is Eric's. I developed a shift flare with it and got rid of it. Eric's tune not fixed the shift flare but the transmission didn't seem to have to learn no where near as long is the spartan tune. I put partial blame on that tune for the failure in the first place.

If I wanted to take my truck out and drag race it, it should hold up to it no issues. The point I am trying to make is something messed up and caused premature failure. He had the transmission perfect the first time. I had it rebuilt at 157k and its got 162 on it now when all this started happening. Keep in mind that at first it didn't puke any fluid out. Any helpful information would be appreciated now that you know...

I am not no harder on my truck then anyone else on here. I also would like to think that Xtreme Street is one of the milder tunes. Their are two more above it that Eric offers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.