ZF6 or built Automatic - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ZF6 or built Automatic

I am contemplating swapping my 5R for a ZF6 but wanted to talk to you all first to see if my thoughts are correct.

I am thinking that a ZF will be a bit stronger and be a bit cheaper to build up.
I am also thinking that gas mileage will be a bit better with a manual.

If I am wrong please tell me. I would like to make up my mind before I do a ton of research in one direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 04:22 AM

So do I take the lack of responses to mean that I am thinking correctly?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-03-2013, 04:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i would say do it, i like the manuals, and with a dual disk it should handle a good bit of power. i know the zf6 are built better in the fords than the dmaxs and i know a couple people running 600 on them, i think main time you run into problems with the manuals if your into sled pulling a lot. and i believe you would get better mileage in the manual than the auto.

just comes down to what you prefer. but fyi a good zf6 goes for about 1200-1600 used if you can find a decent one.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I have not sat down and started comparing the prices for building a ZF6 compared to building up or replacing the 5R yet so that will play a factor. but I am really leaning toward a standard trans in my truck. I like being able to tell the truck what I want it to do. I am about to replace the injectors and soon after will be the turbo and possibly a fuel system upgrade. I think eventually i will outgrow the stock 5R and want to have a plan if that happens
Old 04-03-2013, 05:14 PM
The Silent Service

What do you use the truck for?

The 5R110 is one of the strongest autos out there, with the right tuning (SCT custom files) it will hold up over 500RWHP in stock configuration. If you daily drive, or want to race the truck, hard to beat the auto.

The ZF6 isn't a hard swap, but you'll need both the transmission and transfer case, along with all associated hardware. Unless you intended to do sled pulls, or plow snow - keep the automatic. As the ZF6 will need a clutch lower in the 400RWHP band to hold up.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:32 PM

Man that is really food for thought. I miss having a standard, but I dont want to do the wrong thing with this truck.

Why will the tranfer case not bolt up??
Old 04-04-2013, 01:43 PM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmac83 View Post
Man that is really food for thought. I miss having a standard, but I dont want to do the wrong thing with this truck.

Why will the tranfer case not bolt up??
Swap the ZF6 in, and its gonna drop the resale value as well. Not many manuals in these trucks Not everyone wants to pay/risk the option of paying for an automatic's VIN, and someone's conversion.

As to the transfer case, I believe that the splines are different between the two transmissions.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:15 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
And I was contemplating going the other way! I want to put a built automatic in my truck.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:38 PM

No matter which way I go I will probably be buying a junk trans and rebuilding it from there. I just need to figure out which way I am going to go with it.

All I want to truck for is to play with and tow occasionally but not very heavy, I will be using something else for my DD mostly. As of right now it is my DD but later this year it wont be. I want whatever is going to hold up to higher HP but Keep in mind i wont be racing or sled pulling. If all things are equal price wise i will go with the stronger of the two even if it means swapping to a standard. but if the Auto is stronger for a Little bit more money I would probably go that route to keep from having to do all the extra work required to switch over.

I am just starting the thought process but wanted to feel all of you out. All the info/opinions you can give would be awesome. This is my first "project" of my own. I grew up helping my dad with all of his.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.