Late model Trans filterDeep Sump Trans Pan - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Late model Trans filterDeep Sump Trans Pan

I was wondering, do I need a deep sump pan, to install a late model trans filter, on my '03 5R110. I saw a post where someone installed a late model filter on an 03 5R11. But I can't find it. I'm changing the 3-5 shift solenoid anyway so i may as well install a deep sump pan and since gunk in the fluid could have ben the reason for the solenoid problems, I would like to install the fluid pickup with the filter built in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

There is no reason to install a different filter then originally intended for the truck. As far as a pan that holds more fluid, you can never go wrong, it will help with temperature disbursement as well as give your transmission all the fluid it will need at any angle incline. And usually gunk within the fluid will cause the solenoid to stick causing gear ratio codes to arise as well as reving in between the shift solenoid's controlled gears.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The 3-5 flare is what I'm experiencing along with some other 3-5 issues.That's why I'm doing the 3-5 solenoid change. It seems to me that 100% filtration, as the fluid is being picked up, would be a better choice
Old 03-13-2013, 08:07 AM

Did it start doing it only when cold and then slowly get worse?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:51 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRobenator View Post
There is no reason to install a different filter then originally intended for the truck. As far as a pan that holds more fluid, you can never go wrong, it will help with temperature disbursement as well as give your transmission all the fluid it will need at any angle incline. And usually gunk within the fluid will cause the solenoid to stick causing gear ratio codes to arise as well as reving in between the shift solenoid's controlled gears.

WRONG!

Pre '08 5r's just have a screen..

If you have a pre '08 replace the pan and stupid screen with a real filter and the '08 up pan.

Should cost less than $150

Filter #8C3Z7A098D
Pan #8C3Z7A194B
Old 03-13-2013, 10:09 AM

What is wrong by what I said? The only thing that can truly decide what is best is the owner's opinion. Yes, it could be beneficial to run a newer filter that isn't just a screen but with proper care, the transmission won't need anything but a screen in most cases. Yes it might be a bad design, which I agree with but my transmission lasted for 191k miles without ever being pulled and fluid never changed. Unfortunately the fluid never being changed was the previous owner's stupidity but for a 5R110 to last 191k miles with the abuse it has taken (spoke with previous teenage owner), it was a good transmission.

It is his call, but it is not a requirement to put a newer filter on it.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:27 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Whats wrong is saying what Ford used on the '05-07 trans is OK, every trans needs a filter and Ford bean counters finally got it throught their pea brains.

Your say now
Quote:
that a transmission won't need anything but a screen in most cases
That just incorrect.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Actually the engine was warm. It currently is shifting OK, just some 3-5 flare during a heavy foot. It originally had a "false" neutral going into 5th. I limped it home by lifting the throttle to allow a skipped gear then drive soft. It eventually started shifting again. The other day it hung up, presumably in 5th. when I came to a stop because I had no power and even in neutral, the truck wouldn't roll. I had to shut the engine down, and restart to get it into first. After that, it again shifted OK.This is the 2nd tranny I've had do this. The first, both ford and AMCO said I needed a rebuild. This time I'm more aware, and did research. Gonna change the solenoid, and install the filter to prevent future problems. My tranny has about 90,000 miles, and was serviced by Ford about 3 months ago. This is not a work truck and the rebuild tranny was in 09.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Where are these part numbers from Ford? Maghytec? Filter #8C3Z7A098D
Pan #8C3Z7A194B
Old 03-13-2013, 10:48 AM

Upgrades are always nice, but to not get off topic and beat at a dead horse, to the original poster's question; There is maybe an inch maybe at max left from the bottom of the pan to the stock filter, I do believe you will not have enough room being as the filter is too big for the stock pan. I called Ford and they said this was correct and that you will either need to buy the newer style pan or a deep aftermarket pan to fit the newer style filter.

This was confirmed by Ford's transmission technician and a parts look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.