Is my trans dead? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 07:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is my trans dead?

Well a week ago I had my first issue of the truck not shifting into rev or drive. After a few slides of the shifter it locked in and away I went. Then this week while driving it would drop out of gear as I was at a stop light or slowing for a turn. Never had to mess with a transmission before but guessing its done for. I've been trying to back out of the driveway for 20 minutes now. When I put it in a gear the engine idles up slightly but no movement. Any ideas? Guess a new transmission is what I'll be looking for now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Check your fluid level, colour and smell.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:38 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
As twoice said above, check the fluid. What your looking for in the fluid is a clear bright cherry red color with a shellfish smell, NOT A BURNT SMELL. If it smells burnt and/or is dark, that means you have burnt up your drums internals inside the transmission and more then likely also ruined your TC if the TC wasn't the main cause of the gear slippage in the first place.

My first and always first assumption is thinking that you might not service your transmission every 30,000 miles with all new fluid and a new filter. If you do, that's awesome but stuff can still get into your solenoids and bind them up causing loss of a gear. Replace the solenoids related with the gears first before anything and see what it does, rather it be $200 then $2,000.

If you need help getting it built, private message me.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:34 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is my trans dead?

Drained and refilled transmission yesterday. It went right in to gear and is running great. I was pretty low on fluid.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.