Slow 3-4 gear change. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 05:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Slow 3-4/5 gear change.

My trans was acting up the other day.I've owned my '03 6.0 since since 08/07. 12/08 at around 55K miles the tranny went bad, would seemingly not go into 4th gear, then slam in, possibly downshift, pull again, then same scenario all over. If I would drive hard enough to keep it in 2nd or third, then let off the throttle to let it up shift to 5th it would do fine. I had it rebuilt by a local national chain transmission shop,( if I remember right they said the main drive clutches were shot,) and all was well until now. They also said that a solenoid had likely failed causing it to hang up in 2 gears which caused the clutches to burn up. 90,000 miles later it is doing the same thing. I find it unacceptable to put a tranny in every 100k miles or less. The truck is essentially a cowboy cadillac,living in the city. It pulls my 3500lb boat a dozen or so times a year. It has a banks sixgun tuner ( I've been convinced it needs to go), banks intake, and oversized exhaust. tires are 285/75-16. I had Ford service the tranny at 75,000 miles. I also noticed that this time the tow position light on the shift lever started flashing.I hadn't driven it for a couple of days, but I had to drive it today. I was especially easy on the throttle using just enough to get it moving. I noticed that what was occurring was a painfully slow 3-4 gear change. Once it is in 4th, I can roll on the throttle, and it will pull, then shift normally into 5th and overdrive. I don't know enough about this tranny or how it works. To me this sounds like a sticking solenoid. Although, I have no idea how to change it.Could this be the problem with a sticking solenoid, although I wouldn't have any Idea how to change it.

Last edited by walter.dreyer; 02-25-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 05:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I drove the truck some yesterday and noticed that the 3-5 shift change has improved immensely. I drove it normally and never had it overrev and then slam into gear. I did notice the "flare" though. Gonna baby it until my Go Go solenoid comes in, I'm really starting to think that the direct drive solenoid is the problem.

Last edited by walter.dreyer; 02-25-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.