HELP! 2nd tranny dead! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP! 2nd tranny dead!

I've owned my '03 6.0 since since 08/07. 12/08 at around 55K miles the tranny went bad, would seemingly not go into 4th gear, then slam in, possibly downshift, pull again, then same scenario all over. If I would drive hard enough to keep it in 2nd or third, then let off the throttle to let it up shift to 5th it would do fine. I had it rebuilt by a local national chain transmission shop,( if I remember right they said the main drive clutches were shot,) and all was well until now. They also said that a solenoid had likely failed causing it to hang up in 2 gears which caused the clutches to burn up. 90,000 miles later it is doing the same thing. I find it unacceptable to put a tranny in every 100k miles or less. The truck is essentially a cowboy cadillac,living in the city. It pulls my 3500lb boat a dozen or so times a year. It has a banks sixgun tuner, banks intake, and oversized exhaust. tires are 285/75-16. I had Ford service the tranny at 75,000 miles. I also noticed that this time the tow position light on the shift lever started flashing. My question is, is this to be expected from this tranny? Or would I be better served by a hi performance tranny from someone such as BTS? Since my probem is in the upper range of gears, would it be good to put in the GoGo Diesel Modified Direct Clutch Solenoid Ford Powerstroke 6.0L. Has anyone ever tried it. I love my truck, but right now, I'm considering fixing, selling it, and buying an F150. Right now I'm very dismayed, please help. I wish I would have held out for the stick.

Last edited by walter.dreyer; 02-22-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: HELP! 2nd tranny dead!

Provide more info on your banks tuner and how you use it.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

always on 6, it gets better mileage there, otherwise normal daily driving, with the occasional stomp for fun. 30 miles to work and back. Mostly highway.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:04 PM

HELP! 2nd tranny dead!

What size tires?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-22-2013, 06:23 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: HELP! 2nd tranny dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter.dreyer View Post
always on 6, it gets better mileage there, otherwise normal daily driving, with the occasional stomp for fun. 30 miles to work and back. Mostly highway.
Since you've owned it how long have you run the banks tuner on level 6?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter.dreyer View Post
I've owned my '03 6.0 since since 08/07. 12/08 at around 55K miles the tranny went bad, would seemingly not go into 4th gear, then slam in, possibly downshift, pull again, then same scenario all over. If I would drive hard enough to keep it in 2nd or third, then let off the throttle to let it up shift to 5th it would do fine. I had it rebuilt by a local national chain transmission shop,( if I remember right they said the main drive clutches were shot,) and all was well until now. They also said that a solenoid had likely failed causing it to hang up in 2 gears which caused the clutches to burn up. 90,000 miles later it is doing the same thing. I find it unacceptable to put a tranny in every 100k miles or less. The truck is essentially a cowboy cadillac,living in the city. It pulls my 3500lb boat a dozen or so times a year. It has a banks sixgun tuner, banks intake, and oversized exhaust. tires are 285/75-16. I had Ford service the tranny at 75,000 miles. I also noticed that this time the tow position light on the shift lever started flashing. My question is, is this to be expected from this tranny? Or would I be better served by a hi performance tranny from someone such as BTS? Since my probem is in the upper range of gears, would it be good to put in the GoGo Diesel Modified Direct Clutch Solenoid Ford Powerstroke 6.0L. Has anyone ever tried it. I love my truck, but right now, I'm considering fixing, selling it, and buying an F150. Right now I'm very dismayed, please help. I wish I would have held out for the stick.
There's your problem. Banks tuning is notorious for grenading transmissions....
Best bet would be get this one fixed, and if you are going to run tuning, get an SCT and custom tuning. Banks tuning doesn't do anything to the TCM (trans cotrol computer) whereas the SCT devices actually tune the Engine computer and the transmission computer adjusting the transmissions "thinking" for the increased engine output, leading to a much better transmission life. While this doesn;t make the transmission bullet proof, it definitely helps with the shift points and overal longevity of the transmission. With an SCT and custom tuning, you'll have more power than with the banks and your truck will live a much better life, especially the transmission.

The 5R110 transmission found in these trucks is one of the strongest autos out there for, in my opinion. There are several people, myself included when I owned my 6.0, that ran custom tuning via an SCT device for many many trouble free miles. I still run SCT custom tuning on my 6.4 I drove my truck daily on 35s and while I didn't abuse the truck, I did enjoy the power on occasion and towed with it fairly often. I had zero transmission issues out of my truck.

Last edited by 05_PSD_Erik; 02-22-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's interesting. This is the first I've heard of the banks tuner being hard on the tranny. They claim that the tuner increases line pressure to help clamping force, and supposedly has built in safety features to prevent damage to your truck. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to getting rid of the banks unit. I'd like to hear from others as well. Still would it be worth getting the hi-po tranny, or just get mine rebuilt again. difference is going to be about $3000 !
Old 02-22-2013, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
BTS makes a great trans. You would probably be just fine with something like a PATC level 3 for about half the cost of the BTS.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:41 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
yep get rid of that banks and go with sct.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did some research and I think I understand it now. The problem is the adaptive portion of the stock programming. I may train my tranny to the increased power of the Banks, but after driving it awhile normally, it reverts back to stock settings. Then when I punch it, the tranny isn't ready for the increased power levels. Apparently the SCT with a custom tune will over ride the adaptive portion of the program, and keep the tranny tuned for the increased power levels (Firmer shifts) at all times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.