5r110 solenoid question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 04:48 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5r110 solenoid question

Hey guys I got a question that I can't seem to find an answer for
I was driving my 03 350 6.0 today and when I gave it more pedal the tranny seemed to slip for a sec, the engine revved a little but it went back into gear with no slam, now my question is I was reading around about the sun coast solenoid upgrade, but I'm wondering if I can install it with out having a tuner,I just recently put rcd 90hp injectors in and it has an egr delete and 5" exhaust, I used to tow a lawn service trailer every day for a year but no longer do,the truck also has 200k+ miles , I know this is long but I'm trying to give every detail for help, I've got alot into this truck and can't afford a rebuild so if y'all can help with suggestions that would be awesome

Thanks in advance guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 07:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If the tow/haul didnt blink I'd chalk it up to a random event. Could provide info on your trans fluid maintenance intervals.

Sent from my phone
Old 01-12-2013, 07:48 AM

I didn't notice my light flashing on my dash unless it would flash on the gear handle, in that case I didn't see anything at all, I've owned the truck for about 60k miles and I've done 1 flush since, I do know prior owner info but not on service intervals just on dumb things he did, I'm calling the dealer today to see what a fluid and filter change costs
Old 01-12-2013, 08:16 AM

It would only flash on the gear handle and relying on the dealership for a drain and refill is an expensive handicap. Get 9 qrts and do it yourself. One flush in 60k? A heated flush or a drain and refill? Either way, its sounds like its passed due for a service.

Sent from my phone
Old 01-12-2013, 08:28 AM

it was a drain and fill and now im questioning if they changed the filter.....what should i do get a heated change? or just drop the pan and change my filter and add new?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdSuperduty View Post
it was a drain and fill and now im questioning if they changed the filter.....what should i do get a heated change? or just drop the pan and change my filter and add new?
Thats why you're better off doing it in your driveway if your physically able bcuz you Know if you changed the filters or not. If the trans has over 200k I wouldn't do a heated flush. Consider yourself lucky the trans has lasted that long. But yeah I would do 8 and 8, change the external and if its in the bank accnt get an 08 pan and 08 in pan filter. Id skip the gogo solenoid in case the trans is on its last leg wouldnt want it to fail with the $150 solenoid in there, jmo.

Sent from my phone
Old 01-12-2013, 08:59 AM

Ok, so the 08 stuff will fit on an 03 tranny? ill look into getting that stuff,ty for your help!! i will say that i dont hot rod around and i try to be gentle with her seeing as how i have the luck of one of the most defective 6.0ls haha, one last question if ya dont mind, if i got an sct tuner with custom tunes for my 90hp injectors and tuned for my upgrades etc do you think that it would help out my tranny issue? if not whats a good idea to save for, new tranny or a rebuild by a shop of high recommendation? not so worried about price as i am lasting more then 50k
Old 01-12-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdSuperduty View Post
Ok, so the 08 stuff will fit on an 03 tranny? ill look into getting that stuff,ty for your help!! i will say that i dont hot rod around and i try to be gentle with her seeing as how i have the luck of one of the most defective 6.0ls haha, one last question if ya dont mind, if i got an sct tuner with custom tunes for my 90hp injectors and tuned for my upgrades etc do you think that it would help out my tranny issue? if not whats a good idea to save for, new tranny or a rebuild by a shop of high recommendation? not so worried about price as i am lasting more then 50k
Yes the 08 pan and filter will fit just fine, just need to use them together. Cant use 08 in pan filter with 03 trans pan. I dont know if custom tunes would help your issue, imo, I think the added power would further expose any issues its having. If you gotta get another trans, considering i just went through this, I would recommend a reman one from ford, $3100+install brings you to $4k or order a fully built unit which is in the $4000-$6000 range. Both come with warranty. for a built unit I would recommend BTS or a Warren Diesel trans, they have different lengths of warranty tho. Your location would determine who's trans to go with or whether you could actually take the trans in to a reputable builder near you. Only reputable 5r110 builder in ca, imo, is john woods all the way down by the border. Good luck

Sent from my phone
Old 01-12-2013, 09:18 AM

im in maryland so if anyone knows of a great 5r110 rebuilder i would greatly appreciate it, i also want to thank you darsey for all of your input, you have givin me alot to think about, like i said i dont mind buying a built tranny but if i can get a master rebuild and have it installed and have the same luck i might do that,lots to think about ty
Old 01-12-2013, 09:22 AM

Maryland perf diesel can build a good 5r. That's your shop. Google them.

Sent from my phone

Last edited by DoubleDpsd; 01-12-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.