Truck lags when shifting between all gears - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 05:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck lags when shifting between all gears

Hanvent had any problems before with the trans but for the last few weeks unless I am really getting on the throttle, the truck lags between every shift. RPMs drop 300-400 between gears and it feels like you let go of the gas and then get on it again. No codes and no other issues. Anyone have any ideas? I have an autoenginuity but dont even know where I would need to begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 05:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

does it feel like the converter is locking up?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I dont really know. Once it shifts the RPMS come right back up. It happens between every gear. Does the converter lock up in more gears than OD?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I don't quite understand what is going on. I thought you said the RPM's drop between gears.

So its like they are normal before it shifts, drops as it shifts, then rises again. How long are your shifts taking?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yes. Everything is normal then they are droping when it shifts then coming back up. I havent timed the lag but there is enough time for the truck to slow as if you had let off the throttle. Maybe a 1-2 seconds?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does it shift like that every time? Or when it is cold or what? Being cold, the truck drives different. Especially if you have a tune. Also how long has it been since you have done a trans flush, or changed the filter in the trans? These things can effect the efficiency of the transmission.

Another thing is what throttle you are at. With minimal accelerating throttle, it should shift with barely any hesitation. At full throttle, depending on miles and how efficient the trans is running, it may have hesitation, but not as much as you are stating.

I would put in a shift kit, flush the trans, and replace the filter. Then go from there.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Its all the time. at any throttle except WOT. with the pedal in the floor it shifts great and there is no lag. I am due for a trans flush so i will do that and hope it solves the issue. Are the shift kits pretty easy installs? I havent done any work on the trans but did all the engine work.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Seeing you have the 5R110, the shift kits are a little more difficult because they are not located in the valve body because they are all electronic. Smell your trans fluid and look at the color to determine if you need a flush. Trans fluid should be light red, and should smell normal. If it smells burnt, trans flush is needed, and you may have some clutch packs hanging up. I'm sure you may already know all of this seeing you have done the engine work yourself.
This similar problem happened to my buddy's 04, he had a clutch plate that split in half and was hanging up the whole trans. He also has similar mods on his truck.
So when you do the flush, look for metal shavings. Same when draining your torque converter.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So i finally had a chance this morning to get under the hood and check the fluid and it actuall looks good. Its a light red and doesnt have a smell at all. I will service it anyhow as I dont know the last time it was changed. short of finding debri in the pan, are there any additives that might help something "unstick" if its a clutch pack>?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.