6.0L Trans story with code - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0L Trans story with code

05 F250, 6.0L with 160k miles. Bought it about 4 months ago.

Had the torque converter replaced and trans serviced when I bought it. The trans shop put in a "RV style" torque converter b/c my boat weights in a little over 10k pounds. I just recently got a SCT SF3 tuner. I programmed my rig to street which everything was great for about a week. I hooked up my 6x12 enclosed trailer and went to go riding with some friends. My tow/haul light started flashing after about 20 mins of driving. It popped up with code P1744 through my Edge CTS. I watched the gauges for the trans, and temp stayed at 148, and TC wouldnt lock. Took it back to the trans shop. They installed a new TC (same one as before) and now the TC is even worst, tow/haul flashes every time I drive it now. The owner stated it was a motor side problem.

Not sure where to start looking. Not sure of what to even do. Any help would be awesome. Could this be an issue with a sensor? Programmer? Trans control module?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anybody? Went back to the trans shop and he said the code P0528 (Cooling fan) could be the cause. He said there is a TSB (I verified) that cause electrical problems. My truck is throwing P0528 and P1744. Any help please?
Old 11-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did you at least google the code?

I did, http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11275

Mark K's word is platinum on these boards in regards to the 5r.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 11-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have googled this code about 100 times atleast. I cant find any solid answer as to the problem. The code is being pulled for an exact reason, but seems everyone is saying its related to something else. The transmission guy insisted it wasnt a transmission problem. He said that it was something on the engine side effecting it. Not saying he is right, but just testing that theory in the forum before I go dropping cash.

Thanks for the reply and link though.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:07 PM

The trans shop you're dealing with sounds like they're incompetent in dealing with the 5r110. I would inquire with another shop. jmo.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I do appreciate you opinion. I was wondering the same thing about the shop myself. I am just not very transmission smart, so I wouldnt know. Think I'll start hitting up other shops to see what they think.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:31 PM

I dont know why they would say its an engine issue when the code is a trans code. Means they couldn't even google it. How is an engine issue going to set a code related to the trans? Just dumb. That solenoid from tousley is roughly $65 shipped. I bought a few myself. Parts at tousley is knowledgeable on getting you the right solenoid and nobody in the country can beat their prices.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:34 PM

But I would reference that thread i posted and consider what mark k said. Maybe sign up there and pm him but he probably wouldn't be able to tell you anymore than what he posted there

Old 11-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will call them up and see what I can get. I think I remember seeing within my search that a solenoid was involved with the TC.

I also agree with a motor issue causing a trans code. Doesnt make sense, its separate systems, with separate faults. But hey, I have seen some weird stuff before.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 AM

check your wiring to the fan between the connector and electronic fan clutch, if it comes loose from where it is clipped to the fan shroud the fan blades can hit and shred the hanress and short it together and it can affect the transmission electronically. You can also try unpluging the fan temporarily and seeing if that makes a difference just to eliminate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.