Early 05 trans problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 03:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Early 05 trans problem

Hey guys. I have recently noticed my trans is not going into od. It runs normal all the way up to that point and I am not having any slipping issues either. I run an sct on mileage tune and putting it back to stock doesnt help. My sct is not showing any codes for it either. Even when I mash on the throttle it stays in 4th and will not go into od. Truck has 130,000 on it. Looking for some help here as I have lost 1 mpg for the last month and its my DD.

Thanks as always

Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
First, these transmissions are a 6 speed, and it'll almost never use 4rth gear. It'll shift 1-2-3-5-6, and then in 6th around 45-50mph you'll see the rpm drop another couple hundred revs. That is the torque converter locking. Do you have any codes? A p0741 is a Tc circuit malfulnction code, and the Tc won't locl. I know because that's what mine is doing now, lol. I'm in the middle of researching it. Good luck with yours, let us know what you find out.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:56 AM

Ok Thanks for the info. Im new to this truck comming from my 01 7.3. No, Im not getting any codes. My sct read two codes but those were both for glow plugs, nothing form trans. Right now at highway speeds (75 ish) im running at about 2500 rpm and if I mash it to 80 im close to 3000. before I had these tranny probs I was running these speeds below 2000 rpm.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is tow/haul blinking

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 11-15-2012, 02:50 AM

No, the tow/haul is not blinking and like I said no codes. Ive tried all the different settings with my sct including stock and it does the same thing. Running out of ideas???
Old 11-17-2012, 04:36 AM
Premium Member

You'll likely have to take it to a competent shop that can read the lower level manufacturer specific codes. If its acting funny, the tcm should store a code for it. If you have a way to monitor it, see what gear it commands. Right now, mine commands all the gears properly, just doesn't lock the converter while in 6th. If yours is doing the same thing. It could be the solenoid for the converter, easily chamged by dropping the pan, or an issue with another sensor, like the output shaft speed sensor, that will effect Tc lock up. What kind of temps are you seeing while driving?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:39 AM

my temps are normal not seeing anything strange other than the high rpms. running out of ideas. I guess Ill have to take it to a shop unless anyone else has any idea??? will my sct moniter what gear its in?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead2012 View Post
First, these transmissions are a 6 speed, and it'll almost never use 4rth gear. It'll shift 1-2-3-5-6, and then in 6th around 45-50mph you'll see the rpm drop another couple hundred revs. That is the torque converter locking. Do you have any codes? A p0741 is a Tc circuit malfulnction code, and the Tc won't locl. I know because that's what mine is doing now, lol. I'm in the middle of researching it. Good luck with yours, let us know what you find out.
This isn't correct. All of the TorqShift transmissions are 5 speeds with a lockup converter until they came out with the 6.7 Power Stroke and then they were 6 speeds. Also, they don't skip 4th gear. It shifts through every gear. They have two 3rd gears and depending on temp it chooses which one to use.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

the gear is a pid so the SCT should ,, but I haven't tried it myself I use other tools for that
Old 11-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
This isn't correct. All of the TorqShift transmissions are 5 speeds with a lockup converter until they came out with the 6.7 Power Stroke and then they were 6 speeds. Also, they don't skip 4th gear. It shifts through every gear. They have two 3rd gears and depending on temp it chooses which one to use.
Yeah it is correct. What you are reffering to is semantics, what you're calling two third gears, most people call 3rd and 4rth gear, but it definitely does not shift through all the gears, it will 99% of the time skip 4rth, or what you would refer to as a second 3rd gear??, and go into 5th. As I indicated, It doesnt operate as a 6 speed, as under normal driving it only uses 5 ratios, but there are 6 forward ratios in the trans, and the monitoring software also calls indicates a shift from 3-5. The bullitens and all the write ups on here refer to this as a 6 speed trans, as it does have 6 gear ratios, but operates (as i indicated earlier) as a 5 speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.