Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Intermitent transmission whine

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  dee004 
#1 ·
What would cause the transmission to whine intermitently? Recently changed fluid Mercon SP Fluid is filled right up to spec, idling level surface in neutral and or in drive on the dipstick and replaced the remote filter element (ford part). Only seems to whine once the transmission is warmed up and I'm guessing once the transmission thermostat has opened. It drives and shifts perfectly other than the whine. Could it be a problem with the new replacement filter element? It is an original Ford part.

#2 ·
A little more information to add. My transmission temperature is 164* by the pillar gauge,((( using a hand held infrared temperature gauge. the transmission pan registers 162*, transmission remote filter housing registers 104*, the transmission line into cooler registers 103* and the return line from the cooler registers 98* ))):crazy:I took the temperature of the thermostat housing to verify the infrared temperature device was working correctly and my coolant temperature gauge was 192* and the infrared temperature device reading at the t-stat housing was 191* so it's pretty much dead on. This was all after a 1/2 drive at 65mph on the highway. I'm wondering whether I have a blockage somewhere or if the transmission thermostat is not opening correctly. Anybody have any idea?:dunno:
Cheers
Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.