2004 5r100, 3rd to 4th shift problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2004 5r110, 3rd to 4th shift problems

hey guys so i got a big, semi big, small (not to sure how severe) problem on my hands. Over the last 10,000 kms or so i have noticed that my truck is starting to sort of slip when shifting from 3rd to 4th, and maybe a little bit on other gears a bit but not as noticeable. WHAT i mean by slip is when it shifts, it will either hold the gear extra long and then hammer into 4th, or it will shift rpms will raise for a second then grab 4th. Truck has 140,000 kms (85,000 miles) and i like to drive it hard, very hard.

How big of a deal is this? like can i limp it or should i address it immediately?

Is there a cheap fix for this or no?

Im thinking about just buying a used tranny with lower kms for $800 and using that until i eventually get a built tranny. Used tranny will come with transfer case as well. but if i go this route ill need a little help as in DIY write up, im good with wrenching but some pictures and directions to follow would be helpful.

Been reading a lot about the Go-Go soleniod, would this help at all or not really.

Also when i retune my truck and it has to relearn the problem is way way more evident.

Also Also, truck sort of feels like it is shuttering a bit in fourth, might be tranny, might be a ujiont or rear diff i dont know but only really evident in fourth. might just me be over reacting when i feel anything while driving but seems like its there.

thanks for any help i have seen lots of posts about this but none have really solved anything. hopefully we can get these issues cleared up for everyone in one location
steve

Last edited by Steve6L; 08-30-2012 at 01:46 AM. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 03:47 AM

Same problem here .....can't wait for some input
Old 08-30-2012, 06:41 PM

BUMP

Come on guys someone has to be a semi expert on these trannies , i know theres lots of guys out there with problems like this.

steve
Old 08-30-2012, 06:43 PM

Could be a number of different things, first thing I would do would be to scan it and pull the codes.

the next three things I'd do when diagnosing this would be to check the solenoid (if it threw the code), check for dummy plug damage/leaking and then check the clutch packs and steels to see if they are burnt up.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:48 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to bwmtnbiker
This is actually a common problem of our transmissions. Its called the 3-5 flair. Its hard to understand at first but our transmissions actually have 6 forward gears and an overdrive. Under normal operating temps and procedures your trans will shift 1-2-3-5-6. When it is extremely cold out side it will shift 1-2-3-4-6. Sometimes under a hard acceleration while cruising it will downshift from 6th to 4th.

As for the flair between the shifts, if you have an SCT programmer you can up the line pressure percentage and that will help. Or, I believe that the GOGO diesel solenoid is another fix for it as well. I have this issue but just increased the pressure a little and it is not that noticeable now. Not to sure how the gogo solenoid is working for folks.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:49 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to bwmtnbiker
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRobenator View Post
Could be a number of different things, first thing I would do would be to scan it and pull the codes.

the next three things I'd do when diagnosing this would be to check the solenoid (if it threw the code), check for dummy plug damage/leaking and then check the clutch packs and steels to see if they are burnt up.
^^^ From the posts I have read, this guy is a tranny guru
Old 08-30-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRobenator View Post

Pull codes at dealer or will one of the $200 scanners show anything? no lights are on the dash.

Where exactly is this Dummy plug? and to check the clutch packs and steels wouldnt i need to take apart the whole trans?

been doing about 5 hours of research and came across some very usefull threads on other forums and what not.

I bought my truck with 100,000 km (60,000) miles it now has 140 km (85000 miles) not sure of the previous history, am i safe to drain and put the go go in, change filters and refill or could i cause some harm by doing that?

Pretty much identical to my problems:
5R110 solenoids....trans Q's - TheDieselGarage.com

A huge thread on the .ORG also same issue:
Fixing the 3-5 "Shift Flare"

A Good way to change the fluid:
How To Get More Than 8 To 7 Quarts

A huge amount of info on the torqshift:
TorqShift Transmission - Information and Troubleshooting - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

A thread about how to change the DD soleniod:
Torqueshift Solenoid replacment - TheDieselGarage.com

this is all for now, should have done more research first but after about 15-20 mins i still hadnt made any progress.

steve
Old 08-31-2012, 07:13 AM

Made a little vid doesn't seem to bad???

Still going to do go-go

Wondering still if it is ok to drain tranny fluid if I don't know if it's been done in the last 85,000 miles??

And my final question what could be causing my truck to feel like its pulsing a tiny bit, feel it most at 25mph but sometimes feel it at 60 mph?? Ujiont??? Could it be tranny?? Steering ****??

Thanks guys steve

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 08-31-2012, 07:18 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwmtnbiker View Post
This is actually a common problem of our transmissions. Its called the 3-5 flair. Its hard to understand at first but our transmissions actually have 6 forward gears and an overdrive. Under normal operating temps and procedures your trans will shift 1-2-3-5-6. When it is extremely cold out side it will shift 1-2-3-4-6. Sometimes under a hard acceleration while cruising it will downshift from 6th to 4th.

As for the flair between the shifts, if you have an SCT programmer you can up the line pressure percentage and that will help. Or, I believe that the GOGO diesel solenoid is another fix for it as well. I have this issue but just increased the pressure a little and it is not that noticeable now. Not to sure how the gogo solenoid is working for folks.

^^^THIS!!!

I also started having issues with tranny shifting before. I bumped up the line pressures to 10% on every gear except for I put 15% for the 3-5 shift... Problem is gone.

GOGO is also another option. BUT I would do something before driving it more and killing it.

Also, change out that fluid and filter!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

i have 100 percent faith in the gogo direct clutch solenoid it worked for me and i have the exact problem .......its only 150 and it works i love it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.