Viberation / shutter between 50-60mph - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Viberation / shutter between 50-60mph

I have a 2005 powerstroke, CC, short box 4x4.
154,000 miles, head studs, gaskets, EGR delete, no lift, stock tires.

Between 50mph and 60mph I get a viberation / shutter. It only happens when the truck is in Over Drive and only when giving it gas. As soon as it shifts out of overdrive it stops or when I let off the gas, anything over 60mph viberation is gone and anything under 50mph all is fine.
Took it to ford dealership they road tested it with the IDS hooked up, everything with the engine showed fine.
They are telling me my Torque Converter is bad and I need a new one.

Does anyone know if this sounds like the Torque Converter???

Thanks
Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

4th & 5th Converter Lock = bucking/slipping

Bucking, hesitation, missing....

Read these two threads, let me know if this sounds like the same issue.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's kinda like the first link 4th and 5th converter lock.

When the ford tec was riding with me for the test drive (with IDS) he said no codes and everything in the engine was fine all cylinders were normal. He was locking and unlocking my torque converter with the computer. He could start and stop the viberation with locking and unlocking the converter from the computer.
It's only when I am giving it a little gas between 50 - 60. If I just touch the brake to unlock the converter while the viberation is present it stops.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Old 08-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Premium Member

So it is the tourqe converter locking and unlocking?

Or maybe a bad injector?

I am so lost after reading this thread and the other two posted in here. I am not following what the real problem was or is........of course my truck does almost the same thing....it does more of a growl in-between 55-60 then goes away. I think it's my rear end starting to crap out but I noticed tonight that when it whent to over drive it revved real high and then slammed into gear and this was 45 MPH. So I reaylly hope it's not my tranny. I don't have the money for that.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

mine does not make any sounds, it just viberates. If it were a bad injector wouldn't the IDS scanner have picked up something when the ford tech had it hooked up for road test.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:23 PM

Agreed, mine makes zero noises.

I had a Ford tech with a scanner as well. No codes, no issues on the scanner.
He did not test my TC with the scanner.

I took my truck to a tranny shop, and the head tech went for a ride, he drove, I went along. He said it felt like a converter shutter. But wasnt confident in his diagnosis.
He wanted me to get another opinion, and didnt want to sell me a converter job for $1k, and still have the issue. He did not use a scanner.

I have had two separate techs with scanners, and neither can get a contribution code to show up. And having already replaced 8 injectors, and the problem there before and after the injector job, I dont think its injectors.

If I had a lift, I would buy a new TC and slap it in.
Only part that throws me off is the the fluctuating ICP voltage/IPR pressure during the shutter. Maybe the TC shutter is putting the brakes on the engine causing the pressure to drop, and also making it feel like a misfire?
Old 08-30-2012, 06:44 PM

your converter could be taking a crap.

If that is the case,

I sell Billet or nonBillet converters for the 5r110s and 4r100 for significantly less then anyone else.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

To the OP,

My truck is doing exactly the same thing. I have a 03, 6.0, cc, 4x4, 151,000. I noticed mine just 2 days ago. If I turn on the tow/haul during the shuddering it goes away. Just like yours there is no noise and fine lower than 50 or more than 60. Also, if I get on it hard once it's warm it seems to disappear till I stop, shut it off, then drive it again and it comes back. I have checked everything I can so far and all seems good. I'm wondering if there is a solenoid on these trannies for the lockup that may have gotten weak. If I find any info I will let you know.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogersmike View Post
To the OP,

My truck is doing exactly the same thing. I have a 03, 6.0, cc, 4x4, 151,000. I noticed mine just 2 days ago. If I turn on the tow/haul during the shuddering it goes away. Just like yours there is no noise and fine lower than 50 or more than 60. Also, if I get on it hard once it's warm it seems to disappear till I stop, shut it off, then drive it again and it comes back. I have checked everything I can so far and all seems good. I'm wondering if there is a solenoid on these trannies for the lockup that may have gotten weak. If I find any info I will let you know.
Yours sounds more like injector problems.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yep, mine turned out to be fuel system and tuning issues. Thanks bryan, much appreciated.

OP, sorry couldn't help you out

Last edited by mrogersmike; 09-03-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: misspelled name
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.